Catalina beta 5 causing late 2015 iMac to freeze when left unattended

Since this only happens when I return to my comptuer, I assume there is some kind of bug with power-saving features? In any even my screen will be frozen, keyboard and mouse unreponsive, and the magic trackpad isn't even doing its fake click anymore. Reading the console messages is, as usual, unhelpful.

Replies

Same issue here, also MacBook Pro 13" early 2015 model.

I think this is the buggiest set of macOS betas I've ever been on (since I started trying them out with Snow Leopard).

I will add mine to list as well, however a few things:

• Mine is MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
  • I don't use or have XCode installed currently
  • Usually all I have open is like chrome, outlook, work, etc.

Nothing crazy at all but all the same symptoms as the other posts.

Same issue here. Early 2015 MacBook Pro 13 inch Retina. Has been locking up whenever unused with Beta 5. On my last hard reset, I came back and my Desktop and Documents gave me "You don't have privileges to view" error message. the privileges for my user (system admin) were set to Read Write "Custom". Once I reset, it forced a full download from iCloud.

Exact same problem with my Early 2015 MacBook Pro 13 inch Retina.

Whenever I stop using it for a few minutes, the trackpad locks, display freezes, keyboard and mouse stop working, and I have to shut down with the power button and restart.

I think I have managed to get some stability for my Macbook (early 2015).

I disabled Photos in Settings -> iCloud.

I disabled the Wake on LAN and wake for photos etc in Settings ->Power (for plugged in)

I then put my laptop to sleep.

For two days now it's has woken up from sleep and worked.

Update: This did not stop the lockups after a period of time of inactivity. The only thing this seems to do is allow me to use my machine without having to restart it.

Exact same thing is happening with my MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)

Hi, I have the same issue with a macbook pro 13" mid 2015.

I tried the proposed resolutions like disabling some powe setting (wake on lan, synchronisation etc). I used amphetamine to not go to sleep. I killed the iphoto task....

Nothing is working. My mac continue to freeze afeter a short period of human inactivity.

I test the mac os beta version since years and it's the first time I have a bug such disabling....

Message for Apple engineers : find a corectif quickly please.....

a way to prevent this is

Play Music WITH VISUAL EFFECT ON.

Thats all. it prevents from freezing the mac

Add me to the list! I have a iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) and it will freeze after about 10min or less of inactivty. I have turned sleep off and even screensaver and it makes no difference. Just locks up and becomes entirely unresponsive. Only a hard restart fixes it. This has been happing since BETA 4... I would love to figure out the cause!

The same thing happens to me to have macbook pro late 2013

Similar issue. 2017 iMac. Mine crashes, not freezes, when left alone. But the time frame appears random. Initially it was during or after the screen saver kicked in. I had it set for 15 minutes of inactivity. Followed by a monitor turn off. Aside from that I have no power savings activated. I tried modification on the screen saver start allowance with no change. From the lowest to the highest. Random crashing during the screen saver. So; disabled screen saver. Left the monitor shutoff enabled. Regardless of monitor shutoff time the system will crash and reboot at random duration. From 3 minutes to over an hour. I can time it because I have a single LTO drive that makes a bunch of noise when the OS polls it on startup. So I agree it’s probably a power setting issue, or, a display issue.

Same issue, early 2015 macbook pro. Plugged in, unplugged doesn't matter it still freezes. I have tried watching Prime Video and Netflix, if I pause and am inactive for more than 5-10 minutes, everything freezes. If I just close the lid while charging, freezes.

its the new photo library. it is syncing in the background and freezes. I put my photos file in the trash bin ( DONT DELETE IT) and have left it there for the last 2 weeks with no issues., no crazy fans or anything.

move your photos file to the trash bin, jsut maje sure you dont delete it. ive gone 2 weeks with no crashes. hopefully that helps

mid 2015 pro here as well , i put the photos file in the trash bin, that seems to be what stops it from updating . 2 weeks without any crashes, and it sleeps, wakes , with raise of the lid. no high fans etc.. just make sure you dont delete it!

hopefully that helps