MacBook Pro freezing after inactivity

After updating to macOS 10.15 beta 4 on my MacBook Pro Early 2015, if I leave my computer inactivate for about 5-10 minutes the computer completely freezes. There is not feedback of any key presses, the track pad doesn't "click", etc. I have to force a reboot but I am not recieving any log files to figure out what's happening. Is anyone else experiencing this or figured out how to prevent this?

• Hi. Well, I just began experiencing this as of two weeks ago. Strangely, my MacBook pro was not doing this up until I got it back from an apple fix. I turned it to have the battery replaced. They contacted to offer to fix some "function" thing. So, I agreed. I got it back in 8 days. Well, my MacBook didn't come back the same. Now it freezes after idle just like yours. I too, loose feedback, pad becomes locked and no buttons work. In order to solve issue I have to keep rebooting. Sad thing is I don't know if the apple fix caused this or is it just a coincidence or something that happens once a MacBook reaches a certain age. You know what I mean. All I know is that I need help. Anybody have any advice? ?

Add a Comment

Replies

I have two situations related to this, but not a solution.

When I remote desktop into my Mac mini, when the screen saver (which is also responsible for turning the screen off, even if no real screen saver exists) kicks in, and my remote desktop shows the login screen, after logging in, I see either CleanMyMacX or iStats reporting that the ScreenSaverd (I think) is hanged. In that situation I'm lucky that I can still enter the password and go back in, even if the daemon is hanged.

However, on my own MBP, connected to an external monitor, I've had the same situation where I come back from lunch, touch a key to wake up the machine, the touchbar shows the "touch to unlock" but nothing happens, none of the two screens wakes up, no key or touchbar or touchid changes anything, can't even trigger a sysdiagnose with the key combination, forcing me to force restart the machine.

My suggestion is to fully disable the screen saver, and instead just use the lock screen to turn the monitor off and go to sleep whenever the machine wants to. In other words, I'm pretty sure the process for the screensaver is hanging and preventing the machine from turning the screen on and react.

Same. If I leave my Mac Air open and plugged in, it freezes and the fan(s) starts up. Hold down power button and reboot - just annoying. I believe this does not happen when just running on battery.

Also - indicates that I have the latest update, but I think not.

Also - LG widescreen monitor is no longer working (that I suspect is just a driver issue).

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) using Catalina version 19A512f

Same issue with my Macbook 2015, becaomes hot and unsuable. I have completinly shutdown each time. This is definatkey related to power managemnet bug, hopefully it's fixed in next updaye which I hope is today.

Having exactly the same problem. Not related to anyapp opened. I closed everything and still happens, when the screen goes off, after 5 minutes computer stops responding.

Yep seeing the same problem wih my MBP Early 2015 connected to Thuderbolt Cinema displays. Based on the post by dbrandt6 I am now having to run off battery until ithe machine runs out and then shutdown and recharge battery. Thankfully I have an iPad I can use whilst charging. Have submiited a feedback submission to Apple so hopefully the next update will resolve this.

Ugh!

So happy to see i'm not the only one, I even did a clean install because I thought maybe something was up. I sent in feedback / report. I hope the next update will correct this issue. For a moment I thought I had a remix playing, since the music in the background went on a constent repeat.

I also thought maybe my poor little Macbook was done and couldn't take this upgrade . . . was this update suppose to help with performance?

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)

Processor 1.2 GHz Intel Core M

Memory 8 GB

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 5300

I'm still having this issue with Beta 5 (19A526h). However, I have determined that if you stream music in iTunes it will not lock up. It has to be a stream like the new iHeartRadio stations or Beats 1. While this certainly is not a fix, it helps.

Same here. I thought it was when plugged in only though

Ditto for me too with beta 5 on my Macbook Pro 2015 (12,1) 13". Machine freezes with fans blazing when screensaver kicks in after 5 minute idle time.

apart from the issue with fans, this sounds the same as the bug that I have, but with an iMac. https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/120716

I'm having this exact issue with my MacBook Pro Early 2015 in Catalina beta 5. I haven't been able to figure out what exactly causes it, but after a few minutes of not interacting with the computer, the trackpad can no longer be clicked, keyboard doesn't appear to work, and the display freezes. The only option is to hold the power button to restart.

Each of the 3 times this has happened I've been running Safari, the latest Xcode beta (5) + simulator, Music, Terminal, Sketch, and Visual Studio Code. On AC power, with iPhone connected via USB. I haven't been able to duplicate the freezing in Safe Mode.

Edit: Just tested again. I disabled screensaver to see if it had any effect, and it still froze exactly 6 minutes and 8 seconds after I left it alone.

Edit 2: Again: 6 minutes, 17 seconds.

Edit 3: Unplugged power. 18+ minutes, no freeze.

Edit 1: IMDPersistenceAgent seems to be the one ... any clue?

Same problem on my MacBook Air Early 2015 with Catalina beta 5.

Have added new user and work with that user.

Problem solved for me.

Hope, its usefull for all.

Early 2015 Macbook. Same issue. Locks up when on power and no activity. The back of the Macbook gets hot at the top near the hinge. This started in beta 4 and continues in beta 5. I reinstalled Mojave and the problem went away. I then installed 10.15 beta 5 again and the problem returned.

Looks like something is screwed with Catalina's power management code.

Exactly the same here, with MacBook 8,1 (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015): when left alone for a few minutes it becomes totally unresponsive and the only way forward is to force swith off or reboot (by pressing the Power key for several seconds). When that happens, the back lid is quite hot. This was with the MacBook in closed-display mode plugged into a LG Ultrafine 4K monitor, which provides power to it. This all started when installing Public Beta 4 (19A526h).