Unable to Check for Update

watchOS 6 beta 4

Getting the error "Unable to Check for Update An error occured while checking for a software update."

running iPhone Xs and a Series 4 watch.

<edit>

One thing to note is that when the watchOS 6 b4 is installed it does not ask where you would like it installed and also does not force the reboot when installed. All prior watchOS updates required the user to pick install location as well as reboot the watch.

Accepted Reply

There is a workaround people are talking about in reddit and macrumors:

1) delete beta profile

2) restart Apple watch

3) reinstall beta profile

4) restart Apple watch

5) look for software update

It has worked for many. I had to do it twice, but it finally worked.

Replies

I didn't even sign out of Icloud, I just turned off find my Iphone & then turned it back on and that did the trcik for me to update the Apple Watch

I tried all the mentioned fixes and nothing worked for me. I decided to turn the auto update on my Apple Watch 4 off before I placed it on the charger for the night. When I woke up this morning I saw on my phone under the Watch app an update was available. I clicked on the update and it downloaded and installed. Not sure what the hang up was but thought I'd post since we all seem to have different fixes on this board.

I had similar issues updating. This seems to be related to an exchange account. Seems that the security settings pushed via the exchange account cause problems with apple watch update. Removing the exchange account, rebooting the devices and restart update was the only thing that worked for me.

I Finally managed to get mine going. I went thru the uninstall, reboot, install, reboot etc cycle with little luck. Ended up going into settings, wifi and it wasn't connected to my home wifi. I connected it, and done - update comes up

YMMV. But mine is updating now.

How have you reinstalled Watch beta profile?
I use to get "Pair a Watch to install this profile" when I'm trying to install it.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of R-M Down vote reply of R-M
Late to the game, similar problem.

Tried to pair but wouldn't take.
iPhone 8 (13.6. 1) , Apple Watch Series 2 right out the box.
Downloaded 14 beta

Was able to pair.

Removed Beta Profile.
Checked for updates.
Watch OS 5.3.8 available.
Downloaded and working. I don't know if Ill update it just yet to 6.

Can u pls reply to me I cannot update my watch I need help message me my number is +6587876013
Series 4 AW. iPhone XS with iOS 14.4.

I tried all the tips other people gave and spoke to Apple Support with no luck...

... but I managed to get it working by changing the language on my AW. In the start up where it asks English > UK, I selected Portuguese > UK. Download started immediately.

I had the same issue "Unable to Check for Update An error occurred while checking for a software update." when I tried to check for updates on the Apple Watch. Then I tried it from the iPhone Watch app and the message there suggested that I need to update my iPhone first. I will try it first and I think the Apple Watch update should work after that.

iPhone 13 with iOS 15.6.1 and Apple Watch 5 with WatchOS 8.7