'Open anyway' no longer working ?

hi all,

I'm in Beta 2 and since I installed beta 1 Whatsapp official app stopped working, the OS doens't recognize it as from an identified developer, pressing the open anyway, doesn't work.

I deleted the app and installed again from the appstore, still the same issue

Any Ideas?

Replies

I have exactly the same issue.

I've had Catelina complain a couple of times that a validly signed package was from an "unknown developer", and I had to open it manually from Finder to get it to run. Example: Citrix Workspace App version 19.3.1.25 dmg file.

When you say "open it manually", i assume that's just the usual double-click from the applications folder, right? In which case, that doesn't work on this either.

The issue seems to be that you used to be able to select "open anyway" from system preferences to trust / allow unsigned apps. Although it still shows the button to "open anyway" it no longer works and doesn't "trust" the app.

Some things to try:

Instead of using "Open Anyway" in the Securty preferences, try control/right-click on the app/download, choose "Open", and then click "Open" in the resulting prompt.

Try using Terminal to delete the quarantine attribute from the file: xattr -d com.apple.quarantine FILENAME

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of tjh Down vote reply of tjh

The usual double-click will not work. This is by feature, documented.

You have to right-click the app on Finder, and on the right-click menu select "Open", and this way you are telling the gatekeeper service that you trust and you know what you are doing.

It will ask you a confirmation, and will open your app.

PS: This has to be done just the FIRST time, all other subsequent double-click will work normally.

I've sucessfully used "sudo spctl --master-disable"