Unable to Check for Update

watchOS 6 beta 4

Getting the error "Unable to Check for Update An error occured while checking for a software update."

running iPhone Xs and a Series 4 watch.

<edit>

One thing to note is that when the watchOS 6 b4 is installed it does not ask where you would like it installed and also does not force the reboot when installed. All prior watchOS updates required the user to pick install location as well as reboot the watch.

Accepted Reply

There is a workaround people are talking about in reddit and macrumors:

1) delete beta profile

2) restart Apple watch

3) reinstall beta profile

4) restart Apple watch

5) look for software update

It has worked for many. I had to do it twice, but it finally worked.

Replies

This worked for me, too. (When previously deleting/reinstalling the profile I did not reboot. But rebooting before/after reinstalling did the trick.)

This worked for me after 4 times reinstalling profil Iphone xs max and watch4

iPhone XS Max / Apple Watch 4:

I tried the above steps 4x and would always get the same error message.

Picking up a seeminly minor detail I saw here, my Watch was on the 2.4Ghz network at home, the iPhone was on the 5Ghz. It could be coincidence, but as soon as I put both devices on the same 2.4Ghz network, it immediately found the UPDATE, and I was able to download and install. Quirky to be sure, but as long as it works.

iPhone X / watch 3: Had to do the profile dance several times, before the beta 4 update was finally available.

Tthx so much!

It worked for me on the second attempt following the steps set out. Thanks!

Making sure the two are on the same wifi is the key, worked right away after that. I had spent at least a half dozen tries at the remove/add profile without success. Thank you!!

Same here ;(

Same here. Tried the workaround twice. Still unable to check for updates. It does seem that this whole round of betas, macOS, iPadOS iOS and watchOS are surprisingly difficult to install considering this level of development.

This worked as suggested. Watch is pulling the update down and installing as I write. Kudos.

i keep trying the workaround but no luck

has Apple responded to this at all

there has to be a fix for this

OK got it work this time

only thing I did different was to also reinstall ios13 profile on iPhone along with reinstalling watch profile

I used the work around and it failed twice. On the third try, I chose to restart my phone and the watch and performed the install on the watch instead of using the Watch app on my phone and it worked.

Make sure to use ghursh steps before proceeding!

I would give this a go and see if it helps.

On the watch go to settings > general > scroll down and look for software update > click download and install

I hope this helps! If someone already posted this, my apologies 🙂

Thanks!

It worked on the 2nd attempt for me.

Hi, not sure if folk are still having issues with iwatch update error message, but after failing with deleting/reinstalling profiles (both iwatch and iPhone), rebooting all devices and even unpairing and pairing device etc like mentioned previously nothing seemed to work for me until I tried logging out of my iCloud account and then back in which did trick. For me, the only method that worked to fix issue was signing out of iCloud account and then logging back in.