Problems installing macOS 10.15 Beta

I got into the process where it reboots then gives me a bar with the words "Estimating time remaining..." It has been there doing seemingly nothing for over 30 min.

Is there a way to revert back from here other than a full restore from Time Machine? Or a way to get it going forward again?

Thanks.

Replies

mine has still not completed, and has been going on for close to 18 hours now. i have a late-2016 MBPro 15" (so no T2 chip). have NEVER had a problem running or upgrading betas before, so this is very very strange.

i have tried restarting it, and it kept getting stuck around 30%. hitting the power button would bring up text about the computer automatically restarting during the installation process, then showing 9 minutes to go, then saying calculating... I forced another reboot and reset PRAM and then it booted up to the Catalina island picture (instead of Apple logo), so I thought that was progress. It says 26 minutes to go, and that was about 12 hours ago. I did another PRAM reboot just now and it's still stuck on the same screen.

OK well this is somewhat encouraging - same machine here, but been about 18 hours for me now (with several reboots and PRAM resets along the way). Now sitting at Catalina Island screen, which was not the case until I reset PRAM that first time.

I did but it took its sweet time (6+ hrs). BTW, I did not do the PRAM reset.

I did file a bug report this morning. I assume this was not what Apple expected to happen.

No T2 chip for me (so maybe something there), but I also have an APFS/encryopted drive, so that woudl nto seem to be an issue.

Mine has been stuck at about 35% for 5 hours. Screen doesn’t say anything. Just Apple logo and progress bar. Tried a reboot. Went to login screen then right back to installation. Doesn’t seem to be doing anything. Any help would be massively appreciated. No problems with beta 1,2 or 3 before this. 2017 27” iMac here.

some people on Macrumors forums have just left them and they finished eventually. i was right where you were and then reset my PRAM and it then got to a new screen with an image of Catalina Island and progress bar saying 26 minutes remaining. It didn't progress, so I hit the power button and it said "1 minute remaining" and then shot back up to "9 minutes remaining". I restarted about 5 hours ago and left it, and it's been at "16 minutes remianing" since.

FML

I installed new beta on my mid 2014 MBP. Update was slow but was done in about 30mnts or less. After reading several posts here and macrumors, I started installation and went to watch Mr. Bean on Prime. After one episode, I was walking past and noticed installation was complete and I could login.

So far ... Finder seems to be fast compared to previous beta. But, if I open Safari, right-click on any image on any website and try to save it, spinning beach ball starts rolling like in previous beta. This is very annoying.

As a practice, after installing any software, I run Disk Utility. Disk Utility said there is some corruption and suggested to fix it in recovery mode. In recovery mode, Disk Utility didn't find any issues. But, in normal mode, Disk Utliity still finds corruption.

Apart from this, I didn't notice any issues .. it has been less than an hour after installation. If I notice any issue, I will post here.

ok the solution is to leave the computer - for 40 hours! Mine finally had a login screen this morning. ridiculous, but at least it's not bricked and I can get more work done today.

did you file a feedback report on this? I HOPE that somebody in Apple is reading them & this forum. I have quit filing FB because I'm beginning to think that I am just wasting my time. I have never seen/encountered so much grief with a beta as this one & I am also concerned that I couldn't go back if I wanted to after reading some of the other posts here & elsewhere.

Same happened after I tried to upgrade to beta5 ( MBP 15'', 2016 ).

First I thought it was some kind of network issue, I restarted my MBP several times and even tried to reinstall Catalina beta 4 from a bootable USB disk, but none of it helped. It freezed again and again, telling my "9 minutes blablabla".

Finally I gave up , left it be there and went to bed. I don't know how long it took, but when I got up in the morning, the upgrade was completed.

So I think what u have to do is just wait. Hope this could help.

40 hours?!!! What a crazy for that? I've wait over 14 hours and give up....

A day later, and my progress bar has not budged. 😟

I can validate that in my case leaving it for a whole night also worked.

Attention: Exactly the same is just happening to me on my MacBook Late 2016 with the official 10.15. Catalina release! It was stuck for two hours at the black installation screen, than I reseted PRAM and now it‘s stuck at the Catalina Island screen since 2 hours saying „About 16 minutes remaining“. It changes to „Less than a minute remaining“ if I short click the on/off button and changes to „About 9 Minutes remaining“ shortly after. Holy ****... this behaviour has been reported here in July and they obviously not fixed it!