Computer spins and restarts by selecting text

my MacBook is running public beta 2 and repeatedly crashes in a number of applications when selecting text. When it goes, the application will freeze and sometimes the mouse as well then the fans start speeding up until eventually the machine decides it has crashed and restarts itself.

This happens many times each day and is rather annoying but I do understand this is beta software and part of the risks.

I used to think it was related to Bluetooth but it happens with the Magic Mouse, magic pad and built-in trackpad so I don't Think that is the case.

I also thought it could be related to auto saving within OneDrive or iCloud but that doesn't make any difference either.

any suggestions?

Replies

I have a similar problem, though my 2018 MacBook Air does not reboot. I find if you have anything in your clipboard and you go to select text in any app, the app crashes. I've sent a feedback report with the crash logs to Apple. Hopefuly the next beta is around the corner.

Edit: Just reproduced without clipboard data. Select text once and you're ok. Select text a second time it crashes.

Crash Reporter shows ;

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4

Terminating Process: exc handler [2262]

Application Specific Information:

XPC API Misuse: Release of last reference on a suspended connection.

Application Specific Signatures:

API Misuse

It seems the worst culprits are the Microsoftsoft Office 365 suite (especially Word and Outlook). Sometime just choosing a menu option causes this to happen let alone selecting text.

I now have to use Virtual Box to run the Windows version of Word and Outlook to get stuff done which is a tad annoying, but this the joys of a beta. Cutting edge and bleeding edge are frequently the same thing.

Regarding the spin, if you leave the computer for a couple of minutes once it freezes, it will then show the black screen of death and automatically restart.