Unable to Check for Update

watchOS 6 beta 4

Getting the error "Unable to Check for Update An error occured while checking for a software update."

running iPhone Xs and a Series 4 watch.

<edit>

One thing to note is that when the watchOS 6 b4 is installed it does not ask where you would like it installed and also does not force the reboot when installed. All prior watchOS updates required the user to pick install location as well as reboot the watch.

Accepted Reply

There is a workaround people are talking about in reddit and macrumors:

1) delete beta profile

2) restart Apple watch

3) reinstall beta profile

4) restart Apple watch

5) look for software update

It has worked for many. I had to do it twice, but it finally worked.

Replies

I tried everything and as you said I downloaded it from a link with safari on iphone. Worked nicely, no need to restart anything!

If not working from Apple, try to put the file on any webfolder and enter your link in safari

I tried the above mentioned steps 3 times and it didn't work for me

Try the Philimanjaro trick: download profile only with safari on your iphone

Thank you — I just had to delete - reboot - reinstall - reboot - and then it found the download. Apple needs to get their act together as this is a needless waste of time when I have multiple watches running developer betas!

Thank You, Again

I did try doing that with Safari on my iphone

Failed to install for me half a dozen times. Same error message and followed the procedure at the top of this thread. Then I checked to make sure both my phone and watch were on the same wifi network. They were NOT. As soon as I corrected this and reinstalled the profile on the watch, the update appeared and downloaded.

I don't know if it's coincidence or not but changing my phone and watch to the same network apparently helped.

This worked for me!

Remove the profile via the watch settings.

Reboot AW.

Check for updates via both watch and iPhone.

Got the no new updates message.

Reinstall the profile via iPhone directly from Safari/Dev portal.

Reboot.

Check for update via watch and it shows beta 4 avaiable, press install.

iPhone prompts to install update.

Same issue here, will try the work around.

Updated, tried work around once no luck. Discovered watch was on a different wifi network. Well techinically same wifi network but the network has 2 ssids one for 2.4 and one for 5ghz. Put them both on the same, and didn't fix the issue. Tried the workaround again, and this time opening the Apple watch it crashes immediately. Restarted iPhone, this time didn't crash and software update doesn't show error for the first time but also doesn't show any available update (even though profile is installed.) Force quit app opened Watch app again and now crashing again. Will keep trying various steps of restarting the devices and reinstalling the profile and hopefully eventually will get luckily.

Update: While iOS watch is currently crashing on load went to software update through the watch settings itself and shows beta 4 there woot! Download now finally.

Worked great for me!

It just started working for me after I did a hard restart of the watch

This helped me. I tried several other things. This worked perfect

I tried doing a hard restart even after trying the Philimanjaro trick, still......no progress

After many attempts, seriously i lost count, i finally got it to install. Beta testing should not be this dificult.

It worked!! Thanks.

iPhone 8s and Watch Series 4

This worked for me as well.... to the letter.