want to know about apple.com.fileutil

I'm developing a feature of a file manager APP that can deny user's access to some specific files. I don't want to use any "chmod" related tech coz user can always overwrite it with admin. During my research, I found out it is possible to use OS X kext "apple.com.fileutil" to deny user's access to files. So I'm asking does anyone has any infomation about "apple.com.fileutil" ? API, callback, anything will be helpful. Thank you very much!

Replies

I’ve not seen the identifier

apple.com.fileutil
before. I suspect that you’ve mistyped something, because the normal format for this would be either
com.apple.fileutil
or
fileutil.apple.com
. However, I’ve not seen either of those identifiers either. Can you post more details about where you saw this?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

yes, I found out "oneDrive" of Microsoft use extended attributes(xattr) to control user access permission,

they seems to set one key/value pair "com.apple.fileUtil.PlaceholderData"/someData to xattr, but I can't know the someData structure Or what principle does it follow?

could you help me? thanks.

Kobe Luo

One iOS/Mac Developer

let myEmail = "luogangok" + "@gmail.com"

if someone working or worked with this field, welcome to contact me, thank you!

Thanks for replying. You're right I mistyped the identifier, it is "com.apple.fileutil". I found it in the kext list with command "kextstat". I believe I can use this kext to restrict user's access to some files, but I don't know how. Is there any way to interact with this kext?

As far as I know that KEXT and its associated extended attributes are all private.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"