Problems installing macOS 10.15 Beta

I got into the process where it reboots then gives me a bar with the words "Estimating time remaining..." It has been there doing seemingly nothing for over 30 min.

Is there a way to revert back from here other than a full restore from Time Machine? Or a way to get it going forward again?

Thanks.

Replies

Another 30 min later and the bar did move. Up to about half way now.

So I guess this is working, just very slowly.

How long did this eventually take? I am trying to install the beta 4 now and it is stuck about 30% for about 30 min.

Did it finish? It says 26 minutes fir over an hour restated and still stuck at same place for about 40 minutes. Tried recovery internet mode and got an error and reset pram. Still no luck. Should I just leave it alone all night?

15 MBP w/ touchbar by the way. CMD+L doesn’t show the installer log. Got it show the standard grey screen version where that command should work but does not. I suppose I should wait it out but would rather try different options vs waiting until tomorrow to find out it’s still stuck.

Update: Still no luck. Have tried restarting in verbose mode but the text was so small and fast couldn't see much, and ultimately when back to installing and still says 26 minutes. But if I press the power button once it jumps to one minute left, and a few minutes later it goes to 17 minutes left and eventually goes back to 26. After a while restarted and did the same and went from 26 to 9 minutes and then back to to 26. But where the 17 went to 9, wondering if maybe it is making progress albeit incredibly slowly. Or if that is more random and its just not going to get passed this without other action. I don't want to keep restarting since I don't know if its picking up where it left off or if in the background its starting over.

Hoping to hear more from others with the same issue, so please post and such details.

Much the same boat--kicked of the B4 install--seemd to chug along, the got stuck on the black screen/white apple with the progress bar at about 25-30% for 2+ hrs. Forcing a restart didn't do much. I ended up going into rescue mode and booting off my backup HD (external SSD running 10.14) becasue I needed to get some files of the internal drive. Rebooting off the internal drive again, I am now on a grey screen with a picture of Catalina Island. Cannot tell if this is actually progress or some other random bug. I'll let it hang out here for a while as I am done for the day. One thing I might consider doing is once again booting of my backup drive and re-installing the B4 installer on the chance something got borked on the original download.

I also ended up in the gray screen with the catalina island but hasn't seemed to make a difference in regards to progress other than it typically says less then a minute remaining, but of course that's not correct, and then jumps back to 26 minutes most often.

Are your running a mac with a T2 chip? These types of issues seem to most often relate to that. Hoping to see others with the same issue note it eventually fixes itself as certainly don't want to have to bring it into the apple store. I've ran into issues like this before (though not this specific one and after enough digging always get it resolved, but this one is tough, especially since can't get cmd+l to work and recovery mode does not appear to work. And Diagnostic mode it shows serial number in bottom left but never goes past that. So seems to hit road blocks in all the most common avenues.

To note I’ve tried all the cmd r, cmd shift r etc but get errors with each ultimately. Eventually one of those worked and got into recovery mode entered Apple ID but said activation lock not enabled and to relogin as an admin but only an option to restart. Looked at the settings menu then it said no volumes for this user. So restarted and tried another one of the r modes that previously hadn’t worked and that also appeared to work suddenly. I assume Apple has updated that on their end as was finally able to get into the fulll recovery lose and under utilities disabled T2 security. Then tan first aid on hard drive. Says all successful. So next restarted. Hoping it would work with t2 off and if not at least let me back into recovery mode so I could reinstall though that would be a last resort. Still days 26 minutes remaining and cmd-l still doesn’t work so I don’t think turning off T2 security helped. But will let it run a little bit just incase.

So, its progressed from 16 min remaining to 9 min remaining since I last posted, so apparently progress--seems at this point, its just a matter of being patient...?

Update: just finished, subtracting the hour I booted to my backup drive, probably took about 6-7 hours to finish--this is on a late 2016 MBP

Shouldnt matter that the computer was reset (when i moved from work to home) during that time should it?

I can see that when you power on the machine it effectively just goes back into the installation... I'm only up to about 2 hours now and yeah it's easy to get nervous. (2018 MBP).

Same issue here..must be a problem with this beta right?

From what I can tell, after a reboot, it simply seemed to pick up where it left off.

OK...so did any of you eventually get Beta 4 installed & running? I would like to install it to see if any of my other issues are fixed but I don't want to end up with an un-usable device.

Had to wait for approx 5 hours on a 2019 full spec Macbook Pro 15", then the indicator jumped to about 50% and stated "20min remaining...". I would guess it does something with FileVault encryption, also the release notes have some warnings regarding FileVault on a non-APFS volume, so there is some major change - maybe they need to re-crypt (is that a word?) the whole SSD.

I did not. After waiting the whole night, eventually started from scratch with a fresh install of High Sierra through the recovery tool then upgraded to Mojave. People hear noted the progress bar moving up, but to my knowledge no one with thie issues actually had it fullly finish. I'm assuming it's not wide spread as only about 500 to 600 views here vs I imagine a lot more if was affecting everyone.

I have a T2 chip, though I disabled T2 security to see if that would help and it did not. I did have file vault enabled (the default on installs), and have APFS encrytped so imagine some combination of that maybe the culprit. After waiting the whole night, decided to do a fresh install. Hopefully, it eventually goes through for others here though. For people considering upgrading to beta 4, you may want to hold off until it's confirmed the issue has been resolved or as always making sure you have an up-to-date time machine backup first and possibly disabling file vault first to be safe.