Upgraded to Mac Os 10.15 Beta and Fn key doens't work anymore

Hello everyone,

I just upgraded to Mac OS 10.15 19A501i on my MacBook Pro 15-inch 2016, and the Fn key doesn't seem to work anymore, it is completely ignored. I have played with the keyboard system preferences, but no avail, the Fn is literally dead. Any ideas? Am I the only one having this issue?

Accepted Reply

First of all, if i make any mistake in English excuse me.

Download and Upgrade your OS to Catalina Public Beta 4. fn key and function keys on touch bar are working.

But i want to mention a new bug which is function keys default on some apps.

If you want to use functional keys by default on some apps, you could add that app from settings > keyboard > shortcuts > functions keys.

But here i can tell that my saved apps in here are not display function keys by default. I need to press fn key to get them.

Device: Macbook Pro 2018 15' w/ Touch Bar

EDIT: Function keys are working as default but after one-time fn key press. On Touch Bar latest status is saving and not refreshing app-by-app. If you switch app from fn key default to app controls default app. You need to press one-time only fn key to refresh

Replies

I have the same issue. MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018).

I did notice that I can use the keyboard viewer to at least access the function keys, whilst using the touch bar for app controls, while I wait for this to be addressed in a future update.

For those interested. System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources > check "Show input menu in menu bar" ... From Menu Bar > Show Keyboard Viewer. Is one way to get to the Keyboard Viewer.

Nice tip to display functions keys on the screen, at least temporarily. Thanks!

But I hope Apple can fix his ASAP.

the same broblem 🙂 with macbook pro 13 2018

Same here, MacBook Pro 2018 15"

Can confirm I have the issue, too.

The touchbar doesn't change to Function Keys when I hold Fn key, but Fn key itself still works (dictation, Siri, etc), it's just the Fn key setting in System Preferences > Keyboard that doesn't affect anything.

MacBook Pro 13" 2018 with Touchbar (MacOS Catalina dev beta 3)

me too ! MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar

Me too! on a Macbook Pro 2018. As mentioned previously you can use the keyboard viewer to get to FN keys which isn't ideal but works. Also restarting the touch bar doesn't seem to affect anything.

bump! Same issue here.

Same issue for me with FN key. Macbook Pro 2018 15 inch.

Same issue here. MBP 2019 15 inch.

I have the same issue . . . 😟

Looks like Beta 4 has fixed this issue. Function key now shows the F-keys 🙂

I had the same issue, but Beta 4 has the key working correctly again.

First of all, if i make any mistake in English excuse me.

Download and Upgrade your OS to Catalina Public Beta 4. fn key and function keys on touch bar are working.

But i want to mention a new bug which is function keys default on some apps.

If you want to use functional keys by default on some apps, you could add that app from settings > keyboard > shortcuts > functions keys.

But here i can tell that my saved apps in here are not display function keys by default. I need to press fn key to get them.

Device: Macbook Pro 2018 15' w/ Touch Bar

EDIT: Function keys are working as default but after one-time fn key press. On Touch Bar latest status is saving and not refreshing app-by-app. If you switch app from fn key default to app controls default app. You need to press one-time only fn key to refresh

Yes, thank you, the latest Beta version just downloaded and installed, works fine. Everything looks back to normal now.

By the way, your English is great!