Downloading from Identified Developers not allowed on 10.15

I tried to update from two developers that I have been using for years. Namely Tor and Hamrick Software. Apparently Catalina will only allow downloads from the App Store now. Also the desktop of Catalina Island will not work on automatic. I've also had several crashes. I had to revert back to Mojave after I was unable to update my software. That was the final straw.

Also, I know, this is a corporate decision, but I object to the Mac Pro 2012 being left out of the Catalina update when other 2012 models were left in. The 2012 Mac Pro is perfectly capable of running Catalina with certain graphics cards capable of running Metal.

Replies

The following should help you.

I had the same problem.

https://www.techjunkie.com/gatekeeper-macos-sierra/

Just to address one of your points, I have installed third party software that are not in the App Store. Firefox and Tidal come to mind.

Catalina requires software to be notarized. To fix this problem, do the following:

1) Build a time machine

2) Go back to October, 2018

3) E-mail those developers and tell them to pay attention to that e-mail from Apple

Not just Catalina, but the current Mojave require Apple's new "notarization" for anything being currently signed. Until the developer does this you may still use the existing procedure, for bypassing Gatekeeper to start unsigned apps. That is control-click (or right-click) on the app icon, and selecting "Open". It will ask whether you're sure, you say yes, then you won't be nagged anymore.

Again, legacy apps should be unaffected, but a new release of a new or updated app, distributed outside the MAS, needs to be notarized or it might as well not be signed at all. Within the App Store, the process takes care of itself. Apple made this move because malware has been distributed with ostensibly valid signatures, which they revoke as soon as they learn of them.