Upgraded to Mac Os 10.15 Beta and Fn key doens't work anymore

Hello everyone,

I just upgraded to Mac OS 10.15 19A501i on my MacBook Pro 15-inch 2016, and the Fn key doesn't seem to work anymore, it is completely ignored. I have played with the keyboard system preferences, but no avail, the Fn is literally dead. Any ideas? Am I the only one having this issue?

Accepted Reply

First of all, if i make any mistake in English excuse me.

Download and Upgrade your OS to Catalina Public Beta 4. fn key and function keys on touch bar are working.

But i want to mention a new bug which is function keys default on some apps.

If you want to use functional keys by default on some apps, you could add that app from settings > keyboard > shortcuts > functions keys.

But here i can tell that my saved apps in here are not display function keys by default. I need to press fn key to get them.

Device: Macbook Pro 2018 15' w/ Touch Bar

EDIT: Function keys are working as default but after one-time fn key press. On Touch Bar latest status is saving and not refreshing app-by-app. If you switch app from fn key default to app controls default app. You need to press one-time only fn key to refresh

Replies

Are are Fn keys not working at all?

Are they working as F1 - F12?

Are they working as functions such as volume up/down?

I have a Logitech K750 and my Fn keys are working as volume up/down and cannot get them to work as F1-F12.

If you have a true Apple keyboard, then the "Use F!,F2, etc. key as standard function keys..." will show up on Keyboard System Preferences. If not, it doesn't.

It also appears that we need an update from Logitech for the Logitech Control Center to make this happen.

Thanks for your reply.

I use the built-in keyboard with touch bar, so the function keys should appear in the touch bar when I push the Fn key, but nothing happens.

I hope this clarifies! Thanks again.

You're not the only one. I'm seeing exactly the behaviour you are.

Specifically then I press the function button I expect to see the function keys displayed in the touch bar (keyboard settings set to show fn keys, but whatever I set it to doesn't matter). It appears that the touch bar is ignoring the fn key - I've confirmed that the fn key is being seen by the mac by checking the on screen keyboard and that does show the fn key being pressed).

I'm running a Macbook Pro 2019 15 inch - so quite a different beastie than yours, but it looks like we have the same issue.

Thanks 🙂

Yes, exactly! Same exact issue! Will Apple fix this? Or anyone knows how to solve this problem? Really annoying!

Thank you jsumner for your posting.

Same for me, also, if you hold down the delete, or arrow or anykey for a fast repeat, that doesn't work either.

Same problem here. No function keys.

The same thing here. I post a thread yesterday, finally I find the way out.

Try restart TouchBar via

sudo pkill TouchBarServer

I have same problem in my mac book pro 15' 2016. Restart TouchBarServer doesn't work for me.

On Mac OS 10.15 19A501i with MacBook Pro 15 - 2018 I have too this problem and bugs in launchpad not show apps

Thank you for the tip, but "sudo pkill TouchBarServer" didn't work for me. The problem is still there!

Same for me. The Fn key not work with touchbar. Restarting the TouchBar has no effect

Yes, I have the same problem. I haven't found a solution yet. It may need to wait for the official solution.

Same here. Beta 3, 2017 macbook pro with TB. TB is completely non functional.

The same issue: I can only change the global config of the touch bar - so it's either always Fx buttons, or system shortcuts. So annoying...

The Fn key not work with touchbar. Restarting the TouchBar has no effect.