Catalina install freezes on boot

Catalina hung for over an hour when finishing the install.

The machine installed on the black screen with the Apple logo no problem, then rebooted to the login screen where a progress bar was then shown. The bar got to approximately 90% complete and would not continue. I hard rebooted the machine and booted into verbose mode (CMD+V) to see the output.

It repeatedly prints out:

Notice - new kext com.apple.driver.KextExcludeList, v15.0.3 matches prelinked kext but can't determine if executables are the same (no UUIDs).
Interface link is not up, do not pull packets yet

kextd stall[0], (60s): `GFX0`, `IGPU`, `GPUC`, `IOResources`

considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel com.apple.kext.triggers triggered rebuild

I have tried moving out of the WiFi area to see if that would help but it didn't.

I was able to reboot into Safe Mode, where I deleted all my LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons. Rebooting did nothing. Does anybody have any idea how I can resolve this?

Thanks,

Jack

Replies

this really help me after several different attempts , it boot up take a few minuets and then I can login normally

I try to use it but the same issue the mac shutdown after load 90% and am not able to enter to safe mode

Try reinstalling the software from the recovery mode (Cmd + R)

I have this file too, and suspect it's the reason I'm having the same problem. Could you let me know how you are able to remove it? I can't seem to do anything in safe mode and I don't know how to remove the "read only" restriction in single user mode

UPDATE: wow, safe mode did work the 2nd time around. Deleting the file AVVideoCard.kext solved the problem for me too. Thank you for this post!!

Please send your write-up. Can't find it.

Not working for me. Can't boot to Safe and Single mode, only Recovery.

Hello guys,
I had downloaded the beta 3 update and I was requested to restart my Mac (Macbook Pro 13 2017 no touch bar). After 10 minutes of installation I received a pop up saying that my disk is full and the installation cannot be completed. I was prompt to restart the device but the machine didn't restart.

After a couple of minutes I pressed the power button, the Apple logo with the progress bar appeard and went through until 40% and the black screen and the machine shuts down.

Is the software broken and I need to erase and restore the disk? That's a bummer although I knew and accepted the beta program....

Does anyone had this issue?

I am facing the same issue. I cannot boot into safe mode too.

I am also having the exact same issue, PLEASE HELP!

I was working on a file that I have to submit on Monday.

So I restarted the mac and then it was going to install BETA 2, so out of nothing it told me that there is no space in the disk, so I shut it down in order to boot like before and continue working on my file, but now around 50% completion of the bar the mac shuts down.

I cannot enter safe mode, only disk recovery, buy I need my file! how can I get my files back!?

Please HELP! I do not have too much time.

I am also having this issue. No matter what recovery mode I try, it's as if the MacBook can't find ANYTHING. I really don't want to delete everything since I'm a week or so out of backups.. yeah.. stupid mistake, I know.

I have the same problem and Apple support wasn’t able to help. Does anyone have a solution. Terminal say /var/root/extensions-backup: read only file system

I’m having this same issue. So far no fix and no help from the Apple tech support team

Im having the same read only error.

i can only boot to recovery mode. I tried using terminal there. I get: tmutil: command not found. Any help appreciated.

Did you find a solution? I’m stuck at 30% progress bar, backups not up to date — and worse, can’t enter safe mode. Screen is mildly responsive — support has said “hang in there” but it’s been 2 days at this point (with several reboots). Did it take anyone a few days? Should I hang in? I definitely had Time Machine issues in Catalina pre-update. Most feedback I’ve read is either immediate install or 48ish hours. Anyone’s feedback / insight is appreciated; I *really* don’t want to have to go through the downgrade / backup process if I don’t have to!