Photos app crashes on launch in Catalina

In the Catalina WWDC beta, the Photos app crashes on launch. Does this happen for everyone else? I have submitted feedback using the Feedback app.

Replies

I have installed the beta on two Macs (all but my primary.) My only issue was on my Mac Mini, on which I had the Photos library on an external drive. In that case I had to start Photos with the option key held, then select the library. Then it updated the database and all was well.

Except I get this: Error Domain=PHPhotosErrorDomain Code=4302 "PHPhotosErrorInvalidState" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=PHPhotosErrorInvalidState, currentState=error, NSUnderlyingError=0x6000012e82d0 {Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=43002 "(null)" UserInfo={currentState=error, NSUnderlyingError=0x6000012e8000 {Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=46007 "Lightweight migration failed from model version 13256 to version 13267." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Users/klayanderson/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/database/Photos.sqlite, NSLocalizedDescription=Lightweight migration failed from model version 13256 to version 13267.}}}}}

I also am getting the same message:

Except I get this: Error Domain=PHPhotosErrorDomain Code=4302 "PHPhotosErrorInvalidState" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=PHPhotosErrorInvalidState, currentState=error, NSUnderlyingError=0x6000012e82d0 {Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=43002 "(null)" UserInfo={currentState=error, NSUnderlyingError=0x6000012e8000 {Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=46007 "Lightweight migration failed from model version 13256 to version 13267." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Users/klayanderson/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/database/Photos.sqlite, NSLocalizedDescription=Lightweight migration failed from model version 13256 to version 13267.}}}}}

I have also tried with a restored ealier time machine library version and get the same result

I have not yet found a workaround. Any ideas would be appreciated.

So I happened upon a fix for the error message and Photos crash:

"Error Domain=PHPhotosErrorDomain Code=4302 "PHPhotosErrorInvalidState" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=PHPhotosErrorInvalidState, currentState=error, NSUnderlyingError=0x6000012e82d0 {Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=43002 "(null)" UserInfo={currentState=error, NSUnderlyingError=0x6000012e8000 {Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=46007 "Lightweight migration failed from model version 13256 to version 13267." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Users/klayanderson/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/database/Photos.sqlite, NSLocalizedDescription=Lightweight migration failed from model version 13256 to version 13267.}}}}}"

For the past week I was getting the above message and crash.

Then today, I happened to be in "About My Mac/Storage". I selected Photos and to the right was the option to "Optimize Photos", which I selected. After the Photos were optimized, the button changed to "Open Photos". When I selected this, the Photos app opened immediately and my entire Photos Library displayed correctly (very happy!).

Not sure why this works but perhaps optimizing also fixes any library issues with Photos in 10.15 accessing the PhotosLibrary correctly

So, hopefully this will also work for those of you. that have had the same domain error and crash

I have a similar issue:

Error Domain=PHPhotosErrorDomain Code=4302 "PHPhotosErrorInvalidState" 
UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=PHPhotosErrorInvalidState, currentState=error, NSUnderlyingError=0x600001b16e20
{Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=43002 "(null)"
UserInfo={currentState=error, NSUnderlyingError=0x600001b16d90
{Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "connection to service on pid 1476 named com.apple.Photos.Migration"
UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=connection to service on pid 1476 named com.apple.Photos.Migration}}}}}

Have no idea how to fix.

Similar issue. No clue what to do

Error Domain=PHPhotosErrorDomain Code=5103 "PHPhotosErrorBookmarkResolutionFailed" UserInfo={NSURL=file

I've tried a new library, purging Containers folder, and library repair. No results.

I now get this as well on start, then Photos quits:

Error Domain=PHPhotosErrorDomain Code=5103 "PHPhotosErrorBookmarkResolutionFailed" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Users/***/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/, NSLocalizedDescription=PHPhotosErrorBookmarkResolutionFailed, NSUnderlyingError=0x600002832dc0 {Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=41014 "(null)" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Users/***/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/}}}

- Repairing the database doesn't work

- mtime's suggestion above doesn't work as Photos only appears briefly in the list of storage options and then vanishes

The console shows errors like:

photolibraryd: No SSB on file for <private>

photolibraryd: Error creating bookmark data for URL <private> : Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=256 UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=<private>}

Photos:Failed to open photo library <private>, Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=41014 UserInfo={NSURL=<private>}

Photos:XPC connection error to assetsd <private> : Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=41014 UserInfo={NSURL=<private>}

Photos: Creating blackhole proxy for <private> from proxy factory <private> for library URL: <private>

Photos: error 19:00:29.646747+0100 Photos Swallowing proxy invocation: <private> <private>

Any suggestions?

Start Photos with Option key and create new library. So far so good.

tried that and i get this different error: PHPhotosErrorLibraryDirectoryDoesNotExist

when i check to see if the new library was created in the Finder, it was not

did you solve this? i have the exact same error

Realy worked

Happens for me too - even migrated library to an external drive with more room (just in case it was a problem with drive space) same crash. If i create a new empty library it opens and then starts bringing my shared albums down from icloud. (i do not use icloud photo library and do not have photo stream turned on with this Mac)

I get the same error message on my macbook for my library

Error Domain=PHPhotosErrorDomain Code=4302 "PHPhotosErrorInvalidState" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=PHPhotosErrorInvalidState, currentState=error, NSUnderlyingError=0x600001b2d4a0 {Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=43002 "(null)" UserInfo={currentState=error, NSUnderlyingError=0x600001b2d530 {Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "connection to service on pid 537 named com.apple.Photos.Migration" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=connection to service on pid 537 named com.apple.Photos.Migration}}}}}

And I'm completely unable to open my photo library at the moment

Make sure you have Time Machine turned off and all external drives unmounted. Reboot and try again by holding down the option key when launching Photos and select the library. There might also be a library issue; I had one and I ended up using an earlier time machine photo library.