Sidecar

How do i use sidecar? Macbook pro and iPad pro are both updated.

Accepted Reply

It seems to be only available for MacBook 2016 and later.

Hopefully it will come to others ...

Replies

Mine will ONLY work with a USB C cable connected from my MacBook Pro to my iPad Pro.

Strange.

I have a 2018 15" MBP running Catalina, and a 10.5" iPad Pro running iPadOS. I don't have a Sidecar pref pane in Catalina, but in Displays, I can go to AirPlay Display and select my iPad. And it uses my iPad Pro as a 2nd display w/ all the Sidecar features like the touch bar, etc.

Same issue 2015 MBP 13", with iPad Pro Gen3

I wouldn't over think it too much, Sidecar runs like a champ in my experience and the iPad Pro runs great with or without a cable hooked up. Apple did their homework very well building Sidecar. I can open Affinity Photo using Sidecar and use the Apple Pencil to edit photos like the application was built for pencil. I'd say even for a beta, its a pretty solid feature.

For older Macs ( mines a late 2012 MBP) paste this into terminal.....

defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display AllowAllDevices -bool true; defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display hasShownPref -bool true; open /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Sidecar.prefPane

you will then be able to use older Macs..

As of beta 2, I can run sidecar wirelessly on my iPad 6th gen. It is running pretty good despite the fact that I'm using a Macbook Pro 2014, which isn't technically supported.

I have a 2017 MBP catalina beta 2 and iPad Pro 12.9 in 3rd Gen, iPadOS beta 2. I get the option on my MBP in displays and in the settings menu but when I select it to connect to my iPad nothing happens. Plugged in and wireless has the same results.

Sidecar is still broken in Beta 5 for me on both iPad OS and macOS Catalina. Did someone get it to work?

Not workinfg on my 2018 MacBook Pro & iPad Air 2. It worked great with the first few macOS and iPadOS betas.

I have an iMac Pro and an iPad Pro both running the current betas. I don't even have the sidecar in system preferences on the iMac and the ipad doesn't show up in airplay when on wireless or when directly wired with USB-C.

EDIT: I got it to work. I had to select the iPad in Finder and establish the trust relationship. Now the iPad shows up in Airplay and I can extend my display to it. Sidecar also showed up in the System Preferences on the iMac now. It only works on the wired connection.

I have same issue by Macbook(late2017) with iPadAir2.
I couldn't find iPadAir2 from AirPlay.
Why?