Xcode 11 unresponsive when trying to create any new project, Catalina

Hello

I installed calatina and latest xcode, but i am unable to create any project with xcode. The xcode gets unresponsive everytime I want to create a new file or project. I can open existing projects but cannot create any file. Anybody gets the same issue?

Replies

same here, except I can't even open existing projects 😟 XCode crashes immediatly after creating / opening a new/existing project.

Similar. Can't create anything new with Xcode 11 beta 2 using Catalina beta 2.

Yep, it wont even load any of my old projects, just get a "busy" icon as soon as it boots. i have no idea how everyone else is using it haha

I can open a new project using SwiftUI but the application hangs when trying to create a new project.

Same here I can open any previous project that was opened in 10 or beta 1 that is listed in the welcome screen. I cannot open a project from navigation (Open another project) or create a new project. It seems like any call out to the finder crashes the app.

Hah - first thing, trying to reply to this thread from Firefox, is unresponsive "retreiving data...".

I had this problem, I think it might be a (new) Catalina file system access permission issue.

Here is what I suggest:

0. note the default folder that where it is trying to create your project (In my case "development")

1. rename said default folder to a different name

2. restart Xcode, try to create new folder, if you see it default to "Documents" directory and prompt for permission, you are done

3. otherwise, delete the derived data folder, restart and re-attempt

I did both these steps at once, got the prompt and it worked, but I am not sure which one was the cause, but I am suspecting a bug in not prompting for file access permisssion. (It could further help it someone identified which of these factors fixed the problem)

I faced same issue on my device recently. I'm running the latest XCode 13.4 & XCode 14 (beta) on macOS 12.4 (Monterey).

In my case the issue was with EdenFS. It is a virtual file-system connected to a network. I previously opened an XCode project from this disk & no longer using it but XCode is still trying to access it in my opinion, which results in this 'Not responding' state.

What I did was 'unmounted' the file system and XCode started to work fine afterwards.

Don't know if it is same for everyone but this is one of the possibilities for someone using this kind of system.