Unable to install tvOS 13 profile on AppleTV 4K

I've downloaded the profile to install tvOS 13 on my AppleTV 4k. It's currently running TVOS 12.4 Beta. My MacBook Air (6,2) is running macOS 10.15 Beta. I'm running Xcode 11 Beta and Apple Configurator 2.10 Beta.

I should be able to install the profile by using Xcode -> Windows -> Devices and Simulators. The AppleTV should show up there on the left column under devices. Both my MacBook Air and the AppleTV are connected to the same WiFi network. I actually tried with three different networks just to make sure. The computer is right next to the AppleTV and the AppleTV is on the Settings -> Remotes and Devices -> Remotes and Devices screen, which should make it discoverable. After restarting both devices numerous times and changing WiFi networks over and over, I was completely unable to get them connected so that I could upload the tvOS 13 Beta Profile to the AppleTV.

AppleTV 4K doesn't have the USB-C connector like the previous model, so there's no way to push a restore image onto it.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, have you found a workaround?

Thanks.

Replies

Download Apple Configurator 2 beta, and make the Apple TV is discoverable.

Go to Apple Configurator > Paired Devices you should be able to pair your Apple TV. Drag the profile to the Apple TV; it will then ask you to click install on the Apple TV, once done it will restart, and you should be able to check for software updates.

The Apple Configurator app has been crashing for me, so I just downloaded the .mobileconfig file and threw it in an empty directory of my home web server, and entered the URL to that file I was locally hosting in the "Add Profile" menu. I can do a write up if you'd like.

There are a new Beta of Apple Configurator on the Developer-Download-Page (Applications).

This one is for macOS 10.15.

I had the same problem, after installed the new configurato beta I installed the profile, but my both Apple TV and Apple TV 4K does not update to tvOS 1.3 😡

It happened to my Apple TV after installing the new profile. (I understood you had success installing the profile, right?)

Mine was not updating to tvOS 13 like yours. I fixed it by disabling auto update and checking manually.

Goto settings -> System -> Soft Updates

There are 3 options on this section, disable the last two automatic options:

• disable automatic updates
  • disable beta option

Then click "Software update"

It will check for updates and update

This is exaclty what I had to do to get it working.

I hope this helps you

Any other ideas on a work around by chance? I tried your suggested method, and didn't make any progress...

I'm able to connect my XS Max, running 13b, yet I still can't seem to get my mac 10.15b to discover the tv, or vice versa...

That solution just worked for me, but with the added step of restarting the ATV after disabling the auto-update and beta.

I tried to do just this but there are only 2 options listed which is weird.

• Update Software
  • Automatically Update (which I turned off and restarted)

I've successfully installed the profile using Xcode and Apple Config, but it still won't update from 12.4

Un très bon conseil

Good advise

take your Mac in the Near of your ATV4k, or vice versa, bring your ATV near your Mac, this worked..

Got TVos13 profile installed but it won’t install the OS. Stuck on 12.4. Auto update disabled and I don’t have a beta option. I thought I had it at one point but I don‘t have it there now. I do have 3 other Apple TVs. I may have seen it on one of the others though. Anyone else having issues still or have any ideas. I have rebooted it numerous times.

You are gonna have to do a reset and restore to update. Once is reset and profile reinstalled the installation went without a issue

I have the profile installed. However, when I go to update, it says Your Apple TV is Up to Date. I have auto update Off

Same problem, but one extra issue... even though XCODE sees my apple TV and PAIRED DEVICES showsits paird, I can't get Apple Configurator 2 (10 beta) to see APPLE TV s that i can drop the TVOS 13 beta 2 into Apple CONFIG.

Any suggestions on how to get APPLE TV 4K to show up?

Problem solved, I met the same situation with u. Let me tell you how to do that. Firstly, download the profile of tvos 12, then download tvos 13 profile. Restart the tv, then go setting closed the auto update, restart again. Then go back to update menu to check it again.