Xcode extension with file templates?

Hey all, I’ve started working on making a couple of Xcode file templates and Project templates as a means of extending Xcode so that way anyone can create Ren’Py projects using Xcode. Since I noticed that it looks like some files are all over the place, I figured that may be developing in Xcode extension that puts these files in the right place will do the trick. However, I’m not sure if Xcode extensions have this ability. Is it possible to create in Xcode extension that adds file templates, and how can I go doing about that?

Accepted Reply

Xcode only supports source editor extensions at this time, and also doesn't support providing your own new file templates. Please send us enhancement feedback with additional information about your use cases.

Replies

Xcode only supports source editor extensions at this time, and also doesn't support providing your own new file templates. Please send us enhancement feedback with additional information about your use cases.

Thanks @edford, I've put in a request via the Feedback Assistant: FB6146854. I hope this gets added soon!

For now, I think I'll stick to making install scripts that manually place these templates in.

File templates? Unless I don't understand what the original message was saying, I create new File Templates for Xcode all the time, placing them in ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/Templates/... . Is this changed in Xcode 11?

That hasn't changed, and that's how I made the file templates, too. However, it'd be kind of a process to tell someone "Copy these templates into the right place to add them", hence why I was asking if extensions could add it for them. Just a convenience thing. As a workaround, I have an install script that people can use in the Terminal to create the folders and copy it for them.