Spotlight indexing causing freezes to entire iOS

I work for Moovit, and a few weeks ago, we released a feature that indexes several thousand items into the CoreSpotlight index on iOS.

We index the entire list of all the transit routes in a city because we wanted the users to be able to search for them.

From what I know, this amount of data is not supposed to cause a problem with Spotlight.

We've been getting some complaints from users that launching our app causes the entire UI of iOS to freeze, including the app switcher and the home screen.

Because this is not a crash, we do not know the numbers or practically anything about this occurrence, but the user complaints seem to be on iOS versions 12.2 and 12.3.

After some testing we have determined that the new Spotlight indexing of routes was the root cause.

What can be done about this short of disabling the feature?

Is our utilization of Spotlight within defined parameters?

Replies

As a general rule, the system should protect itself from bad app behaviour, so even if you’re doing something wrong I’d still classify this as a bug in the OS. You wrote:

After some testing we have determined that the new Spotlight indexing of routes was the root cause.

Does that mean you can reproduce this internally? If so, please do file a bug about that. Make sure to attach a sysdiagnose log taken while the problem is happening. For information about sysdiagnose logs, see our Bug Reporting > Profiles and Logs.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I've submitted bug report FB6160099 (rdar://problem/6160099) http://www.openradar.appspot.com/6160099 and have managed to obtain a sysdiagnose.