How to use multiple Vive headsets in one Mac computer lab

Greetings! I am a professor of Italian Renaissance architecture and urbanism, and my question relates to a course I'd like to teach on the canals of Venice. Part of the course would be in our Mac lab (furnished with 15 2014-2017 iMacs), where I would like each of my 15 students to edit a single 360 video of the canals using the Immersive Environment feature in Premiere Pro / After Effects while wearing Vive headsets. According to Adobe, our iMacs fit the system requirements for using Premiere Pro and After Effects with the Vive; according to HTC, they're positive that I can do this but aren't authorized to tell me how (they also want me to reach out to HTC Arcade...?).

I'm planning on installing Mac SteamVR on, and hooking up a Vive headset to, each of the computers. Thunderbolt 2 is the fastest connection on our iMacs, so I was planning on hooking up the Vives to a thunderbolt 2 to HDMI/USB adapter. I don't think I need external GPUs, because each student will only be editing/watching one 360 video (5-20GBs each, each about 30 minutes, either 1080 or 720) - not gaming.

My questions:

Does anyone foresee any problems with the method I outlined above? How would you go about it differently?

Will I need an external GPU just to edit/watch one 360 video?

Do I need to install 2 base stations per computer, i.e. 30 base stations in the computer lab..., or can each of the 15 headsets feed off two base stations? If the latter, then how do I do the set up?

I would greatly appreciate any and all help! I would really like to teach this course. Thank you!

Replies

You will be able to edit the video but viewing it in 360 will require a differnt hardware set-up. I believe you really will need Thuderbolt 3 to have the bus bandwidth for VR.

I am using a late MacBook Pro 2016 with Thunderbolt 3 ports & the Sonnet eGPU set-up with a AMD GPU.

For 360 video, I have been able to view the example project using the Unity game engine.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/en/2018/01/19/getting-started-in-interactive-360-video-download-our-sample-project/

For 360 video playback, you will need to also install Steam VR for the Mac.

And there is some info here from Apple on 360 video being edited & viewed with Final Cut Pro. I have not tried this.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207943