SearchKit not producing search terms

Hopefully this has a somewhat straightforward reason, but I'm having trouble figuring this out.

I'm using trying to use SearchKit to derive the search term list from a particular document on the filesystem. I have code to do this, written by consulting the API and the various (now admitedly deprecated) programming guides Apple offers. However, the normal place this would be running is in a 'command line' application, running as root, spawned by the launchd as a LaunchDaemon. In this context it appears SearchKit produces no errors, but it also produces no search term information.

If I extract the code from the daemon and create a new command line application via Xcode, I get a similar results - no errors, but also no results.

If I extract the code and place it in a Cocoa Application templated by Xcode but without the sandbox the code appears to work correctly, generating no errors and all of the texted search terms derived from the text file.

In all cases SearchKit reports the document as indexed, and when I've created a persistent index on the file system looking at the contents of this file indicates it contains data regarding the expected paths, but apparently no search term data. I've called SKLoadDefaultExtractorPlugIns to load the spotlight importers and SKIndexFlush before looking at the number of search terms to synchronise the backing store for the index after adding documents.

In the past when this kind of problem has cropped up my experience was that the API required something like an NSRunLoop or similar such construct to post work to. SearchKit doesn't document such a dependency, nor does adding an NSRunLoop fix the problem. My other theory was that the system was preventing applications running the in System launchd domain from performing work with SearchKit, however the regular command line application not working would seem to discount that.

Consulting the system log closely show the command line application loading spotlight importer plugins, with messages like

skfoundationtest: (CoreFoundation) [com.apple.CFBundle:resources] Resource lookup at CFURL file:///System/Library/

47434 Request : type: mdimporter path: Spotlight

47435 Result : SystemPrefs.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, Chat.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, iPhoto.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, PDF.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, RichText.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, Bookmarks.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, Office.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, PS.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, MIDI.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, Archives.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, Audio.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, iPhoto8.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, Automator.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, Application.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, Font.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, Mail.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, QuartzComposer.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, vCard.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, Image.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, iCal.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/, CoreMedia.mdimporter/ -- file:///System/Library/Spotlight/,

which seem to indicate SearchKit is operating.

The SearchKit documentation makes some cryptic remarks about how it will perform searches "This function creates an asynchronous search object for querying the document contents in an index. It also initiates the search on a separate thread." which suggests to me that SearchKit will manage the threading itself however could this indicate the absence of some runloop like entity in my application?

Anyone's help on this would be much appreciated, I'm going to continue investigating on my own but I'm running out of avenues.

The code is morally equivalent to the following in all cases

import Foundation
import CoreServices
import os

class FileContentInspector {

init?() {
        contentScanIndexBuffer = CFDataCreateMutable(kCFAllocatorDefault, 0)

let stopWords: Set = []
        let indexOptions: [String: Any] = [
            "kSKMinTermLength": 1,
            "kSKMaximumTerms": 0,
            "kSKStopWords": stopWords
        ]

SKLoadDefaultExtractorPlugIns()
        guard let unmanagedIndex = SKIndexCreateWithMutableData(
            contentScanIndexBuffer,
            "fileContentScan" as CFString,
            kSKIndexInvertedVector,
            indexOptions as CFDictionary) else {
                if #available(macOS 10.12, *) {
                    os_log("%u: failed to create index with URL", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(query).hashValue)
                }
                return nil
        }
        contentScanIndex = unmanagedIndex.takeRetainedValue()
    }

func scanFileTerms(forURL url: URL, pattern: String, withCompletion: @escaping((Bool) -> Void)) -> Void {
            os_log("%u scanFileTerms %{public}@ %{public}@", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue, url.scheme ?? "unknown", url.absoluteString)
        }

let doc = SKDocumentCreateWithURL(url as CFURL)?.takeRetainedValue()

guard SKIndexAddDocument(contentScanIndex, doc, nil, true) else {
                os_log("%u failed to add document to index", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue)
            }
            withCompletion(false)
            return
        }

os_log("%u terms index size %u bytes %{public}@ %{public}@", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue, CFDataGetLength(contentScanIndexBuffer), String(describing: SKDocumentCopyURL(doc)?.takeRetainedValue() as URL?), String(describing: SKDocumentGetSchemeName(doc)?.takeUnretainedValue() as String?))
        }

let r = SKIndexFlush(contentScanIndex)
        if r == true {
                os_log("%u flushed index", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue)
            }
        } else {
                os_log("%u failed to flush index", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue)
            }
            withCompletion(false)
            return
        }

let docID = SKIndexGetDocumentID(contentScanIndex, doc)

// --
        let state = SKIndexGetDocumentState(contentScanIndex, doc)
        switch state {
        case kSKDocumentStateNotIndexed:
                os_log("%u document %u is not indexed", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue, docID)
            }
        case kSKDocumentStateIndexed:
                os_log("%u document %u is indexed", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue, docID)
            }
        case kSKDocumentStateAddPending:
                os_log("%u document %u is add pending", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue, docID)
            }
        case kSKDocumentStateDeletePending:
                os_log("%u document %u is del pending", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue, docID)
            }
        default:
                os_log("%u document %u is in an unknown state", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue, docID)
            }
        }

os_log("%u terms numbered %u %u %u bytes", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue, SKIndexGetMaximumTermID(contentScanIndex), SKIndexGetDocumentTermCount(contentScanIndex, docID), CFDataGetLength(contentScanIndexBuffer))
        }

if let termIDList = SKIndexCopyTermIDArrayForDocumentID(contentScanIndex, docID)?.takeRetainedValue() {
                os_log("%u terms numbered %u %u %u %u %u", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue, docID, SKIndexGetDocumentCount(contentScanIndex), SKIndexGetMaximumTermID(contentScanIndex), SKIndexGetDocumentTermCount(contentScanIndex, docID), CFArrayGetCount(termIDList))
            }
            for i in 0..<cfarraygetcount(termidlist) {<br="">                let termIDPtr = (unsafeBitCast(CFArrayGetValueAtIndex(termIDList, i), to: CFNumber.self) as NSNumber)
                let termID = termIDPtr.intValue
                guard let term = SKIndexCopyTermStringForTermID(contentScanIndex, termID)?.takeRetainedValue() as String? else {
                        os_log("%u terms is term was not a string", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue)
                    }
                    withCompletion(false)
                    return
                }
                withCompletion(true)
                return
            }
        } else {
                os_log("%u no search terms found", log: FileContentInspector.logger, type: .debug, ObjectIdentifier(self.query).hashValue)
            }
        }
        withCompletion(false)
        return
    }

var queryURL: URL? = nil
    var complationHandler: ((Bool) -> Void)? = nil
    let query: NSMetadataQuery = NSMetadataQuery()
    let contentScanIndexBuffer: CFMutableData
    let contentScanIndex: SKIndex
    @available(macOS 10.12, *) static let logger = OSLog(subsystem: "myapp", category: "filecontentinspector")
}

Replies

I should also mention, in my test command line application running as a regular user (not from launchd where I know linking AppKit doesn't work properly) I also tried extending this with a manually created NSApplication and NSApplicationDelegate instance in case AppKit was doing some magic here. I did the work off func applicationDidFinishLaunching(_ notification: Notification) and while this executed correctly (so I assume I made all the necessary parts) it, again SearchKit produced no errors and no results.

Just to close this out, the long and the short is that it appears SearchKit doesn't work when run as the root user (from what I can tell). I'm assuming this is for security reasons to revent importer plugins being loaded and run as root when they shouldn't be. Taking a look at the processes (and what user they're running as) which make up the Spotlight service sort of indicate this is the case.

I'd been confused because my test programs where using FileManager.homeDirectoryForCurrentUser which I'd forgotten and was causing the test program to try indexing the wrong path when run as the wrong user. Put a somewhat embarrassing spanner in the works 😀.