Upgrade fails on external SSD

I'm trying to get 10.15 installed on an external SSD. I started by using recovery mode to install Mojave on it from a MacBook Pro. That all worked fine. I then booted into the new installation and downloaded the beta. The installer runs for a while and gets to the point where it asks to restart. When I click the restart button, some apps close, but then it says "An error occurred while preparing the installation." I can't find any logs or details on why exactly it's failing.

Has anyone gotten the beta working on an external drive?

Replies

Some times this is caused by the date/time not being correct. Boot into recovery, go to utilities > terminal. To verify what the current date and time is type "date" if the date or time is wrong, try correcting it. The command to adjust date/time: "date mmddHHMMyyyy." If this is not the issue or you are still facing the problem after try reset the NVRAM or PRAM.

Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063