Is iOS 13 required to instal Watch OS 6 Beta?

I've seen several posts with people having issues pairing with an Apple Watch running Watch OS 6. In my case I am running the iOS beta 12.4 and having no luck pairing with my watch. So, is iOS 13 required for pairing with an Apple Watch running Watch OS 6??

Replies

Yes, iOS 13 is required for watchOS 6.

Thanks. I thought so but was hoping not.

My question is WHY did Apple allow me to download and partially install watchOS 6 WITHOUT iOS 13 and Xcode 11? My watch is now bricked!

iOS 13 does not have to be installed. I did manage to install WatchOS6 with iOS 12. The end result was that I kept getting a message on my iPhone saying that WatchOS was out of date and needed to be updated. The Watch app prompted me to either check for update or factory reset my watch. Checking for an update resulted in a constant check with no other messages. I installed iOS 13 and did not have the issue above. I did, however, get an issue where the watch app would tell me that my watch was syncing and I would receive a message when it was done. Tapping the back button gave the option to continue or stop the sync factory reset the watch. The factory reset option did not work. I rebooted my iPhone and have yet to have any of the above issues.

iOS 13 is NOT required to install Watch OS6 beta, but after the install is complete from an iOS 12 phone, you will NOT be able to pair your watch back to that iOS 12 phone. The pairing process fails and you will continually be prompted to update your phone to iOS 13.

So, unless you plan on updating your phone to iOS 13, I would advise against updating your watch to OS 6 beta. You will be stuck with a watch that can't sync up with your iOS 12 phone.

Not sure this is correct. It’s not mentioned in the release notes and the watch itself states where you can find the watch app in iOS 12.0 or greater. (Can’t past photo here)

Correct, it's not mentioned in the release notes that iOS 13 is required, because iOS 13 is NOT required to install Watch OS 6 beta. But if you actually want to use your watch to the fullest (meaning having it paired to an iOS 12 phone) after installing Watch OS 6 beta, then you're out of luck. You will need a phone running iOS 13 if you want to pair up again.

That's the problem here (see this thread). Apple didn't state in the release notes that you really should have a phone with iOS 13 on it if you want to use your watch again.

My watch is bricked too. I need the device. Tomorrow is an Apple-Teacher meeting. And i cannot use it anymore. A little bit disgusting.

Yes, you are right - This time Apple behaves like a Stupid

Unfortunately does the update work under iOS 12, but no more pairing. This prevents testing on Watch OS 6, while staying on the current iOS. Mine is bricked too and I've just prepared it for sending to the repair center.

It would be very helpful to have this option disabled, or at least a note popping up before the update starts. Latest for the public beta. With the Apple Watch, not being able to recover in a normal environment this is little furstrating, although knowing that a developer Beta might cause such effects...

That's just semantics! Without the ability to pair to an iPhone the watch is pretty much a brick. So Apple should not have allowed the WatchOS 6 profile to be installed from an iOS 12 iPhone. Plain and simple !

Jeff

YES.

I currently have an iphone 6 running IOS 12.4 and an apple watch running watch OS 6. If i were to simply upgrade phone and install IOS 13 on that it should pair right so my watch isnt bricked indefinitely. Thanks

To everyone on the thread. Please ensure you have read the release notes. It states that iOS13 is required for Watch OS6. As found in the release notes: “•Important Update your iPhone to iOS 13 beta, before updating your watch to WatchOS 6 beta (51288800).”

My watch bricked too, and I tried to install IOS 13 on my phone, but It's still no luck, I still can not connect to my watch!! what's I must do now?