3 Replies
      Latest reply on Jun 7, 2019 7:56 AM by eskimo
      jweinraub Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This is more of a curiosity question, but when one selects, en-US or de-DE as their region where does that data come from?  Where does it say it uses mm/dd/yyyy in the former or dd.mm.yyyy in the latter?  Or imperial in one, and metric in the other?  I don't know if this is an OS X issue, or a BSD issue, but I understand .GlobalPreferences can override the settings, which I believe the custom settings from Settings gets written to, but the master default settings, where are they actually defined?

• Re: Region definitions
          KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,065 points)

>master default settings

Defined for the dev, or defined for the user?

API(s) for the dev, I'd think, and the OS (language settings), strictly, for the user.

What's the issue behind your ask?

jweinraub Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The global settings, mainly a learning activity, to know where in the OS regions get defined.  Not overridden by using globalpreferences or even per user, but when you use the dropdown and select a country, and it populates date format, time format, digit seperator, and so on, it must be pulling that info from somewhere, I would think. 

It was more or less something that I was genuinely curious about.  So there really isn't an issue per se, and definitely nothing to do with any of my active projects, but if I were to say change en-US region definition to always have 24h time for example, through the dropdown in the settings page, how can that be accomplished?  There must be some sort of dictionary that says all regions that have this are x, y, and z.

It is more of an OS-related question, than a developer one, but I felt the developer forums would point me in a better direction that the consumer forums..  Sorry if this makes no sense, but I always love learning new things and after exhaustive googling I really didn't know where else to turn, besides Apple directly, and I didn't think I would get a response..

eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (12,295 points)

when you use the dropdown and select a country, and it populates date format, time format, digit seperator, and so on, it must be pulling that info from somewhere, I would think.

Ultimately all of this data comes from CLDR via ICU.  Apple is a significant contributor to these technologies, as are many other platform vendors.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
                  Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
                  let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"