Updating an iPhone through 10.15??

I updated my MBP before my iPhone and now I can't install the restore file because I don't have iTunes anymore and all my searches haven't helped me find a solution. I hooked the phone to my MBP and I can see it in Finder but how do I restore it from there to update it?

Replies

I find having Music open conflicts with Finder. Closing Music allowed my iPad to show up immediately. Give that a shot. Also, none of the options in Finder were clickable (clicking a button did nothing). Again having Music closed fixed this.

Was able to update to iOS 13 without problem having Music closed.

I don't show any devices in finder, but it does in music app??

I updated an iPod Touch, iPad Pro and iPhone with no issues using Finder; just opened a new Finder window and selected the device after it was plugged in; it showed a very similar UI to what was in iTunes and showed up even when the Music add was open. Ironically, the settings in iOS still reference iTunes; for example, iTunes Wi-Fi Sync and doesn't seem to work with the Finder sync version.

Hi! I have this same issue... downloaded Catalina (along with Xcode 11) and then I got the IPSW files but once I get into Finder and, either with "Update" and "Restore" I get the finder to select the file and then it does nothing...

Any ideas???

I noticed that too... having Music open messes Finder but i still can't install the file on my iPhone. Such a shame

hello I update my iphone xs max whit catalina opening the finder see my iphone and pressing option key and update browse the ipsw file and the autoctly detec the ios 13.

Tip: Make sure that Configurator or X-Code are not running. From the 10 minutes I just wasted trying to work this out; if any app has access to a connected device, it will not show in Finder.

For completeness, the same happens without Catalina. I've updated my Apple TV 4 (via USB) and old iPhone SE, on a Mojave 12.4 beta, but no xcode 11 nor the new configurator. Having Xcode or Configurator open was enough to confuse iTunes and not let them see the devices.

My suggestion, with Catalina or Mojave, for now, is to close everything related to the devices, and run only one app - either Finder on Catalina or iTunes on Mojave. No Xcode, no Music app, no Configurator.

Still, I "think" running Console is ok. After my Apple TV restarted, it also stayed a long time with the progress bar stuck, and console show me that it was also processing images, like the iOS changelog mentions. I caved in and restarted the Apple TV anyway, which made it boot up properly, but now it probably corrupted the photos library and will need to reprocess the whole thing, as I had only a dozen photos, not the 40K I was expecting.

Click on iPhone, there are 2 options: Update and restore.

i have the same problem but i need to connect apple tv to update it to tvOS 13but my pc don't se my apple tv (mac os catalina)

in finder i see my apple tv but when i click on it and don't butoms apeared

plz help

Not had any issues, my phone appears in finder just fine

Yeah when I go to Finder I just get a blank screen straight up.