59 Replies
      Latest reply on Jul 26, 2019 7:06 AM by byann
      ncel Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

On using notarization from command line on Mojave 10.14.5 as below:

xcrun altool --notarize-app --primary-bundle-id "" -u "xxx" -p "xxx" -f "xxx.zip"

The following error is observed :

To use this application, you must first sign in to iTunes Connect and sign the relevant contracts. (1048)

Currenlty latest XCode 10.2.1 is being used despite of that this error is observed. I am able to successfully login to developer account and itunesconnect account which does not display any contracts/agreements.

What could be missing?

• Re: notarization throws error
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (11,845 points)

To use this application, you must first sign in to iTunes Connect and sign the relevant contracts. (1048)

ncel, Please get in touch with me directly (my email address is in my signature).

For anyone else, if you were unable to notarise because of this error sometime over the past week, please try again now.  If you still have the error, first check that your agreements are in order.  If they are, please post a follow-up here.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thanks for the response. I tried again later yesterday and it notarized successfully.

I tried again later yesterday and it notarized successfully.

Cool.  I’d still like you to get in touch though.  It’s important for us to understand why this problem affected you and not other developers [1].  I can’t go into the gory details here, but if we can capture some info from you now then that might help us avoid this problem occurring again in the future.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

[1] Curiously, the problem also showed up in the team that I use to run notarisation tests, which is why I know so much about it.

Sure. I will respond in mail.

Also I had another query regarding stapling the ticket to the notarised binary.

Is it mandatory to staple the ticket to the binary/pkg?  I understand network connection would be required for Gatekeeper to validate. But can we still continue to notarize the binaries and not staple the ticket?

I will respond in mail.

Thanks!

Also I had another query regarding stapling the ticket to the notarised binary.

If you create a new thread for that question — in the same topic area, that is, Distribution > Mac Apps — I’ll respond there.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Rulovic Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello eskimo,

I have started to experience same problem. I was able to notarize app succesfully. I tried 2 mins after (I am testing how to automatise proccess) and I got that error.

What can I do please? I need to finish that process ASAP

Thanks in advance

Yeah, I’m seeing the same thing with the account I use for testing notarisation.  I’ve escalated this internally.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

branewave Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am also getting this error.  The process had been working, but it started failing yesterday (May 29th, some time in the evening).  I am using the "altool" command line tool.  Here is the output:

Package Summary:

1 package(s) were not uploaded because they had problems:

/var/folders/yy/4xkwd28904l32hm7f4gv7prm0000gn/T/163C9E5E-F2CF-4A3A-BCFA-F37FF6F03232/Untitled.itmsp - Error Messages:

2019-05-30 11:05:38.578 altool[93521:8759263] *** Error: To use this application, you must first sign in to iTunes Connect and sign the relevant contracts. (1048)

Upload failed

Ceylo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello,

I also got this error "To use this application, you must first sign in to iTunes Connect and sign the relevant contracts. (1048)" in Xcode's Organizer while I have been able to notarize my app 4 days ago.

I checked App Store Connect (I guess there is no iTunes Connect as http://itunesconnect.apple.com immediately redirects to https://appstoreconnect.apple.com ?) and my 2 only contracts are marked green.

As a new member of the developer program, I cannot distribute with my Developer ID without notarization: it shows this popup "ProductName.app" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. The software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

So this issue is delaying the release of my product. Asking all my users to right-click then Open is obviously not an option.

Is there a way to confirm that there no missing contract or other issue on my side and that it is only a temporary technical issue on Apple's Notarization service side?

RobertWelz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

-- this posting was sent by email to Mr. Quinn, too

Dear Mr. Quinn,

According to your wish in this thread: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/116570

I have to report that I am not able no notarize my command line program:

Both

xcrun altool --notarize-app -t osx -f ez.login.eas.mac --primary-bundle-id com.myApp.RobertWelz -u welz.willi@gmail.com -p PASSWORD -itc_provider ThinPrintGmbH --output-format xml

And

xcrun altool --notarize-app -t osx -f ez.login.eas.mac --primary-bundle-id com.myApp.RobertWelz -u welz.willi@gmail.com -p PASSWORD -itc_provider 5RYB389N6F --output-format xml

give the same error:

Package Summary:

1 package(s) were not uploaded because they had problems:
                                /var/folders/63/6z6xxym95jl9jm126g961whc0000gn/T/675243A5-B864-48AF-ADE9-FB17C045D6D0/Untitled.itmsp - Error Messages:

It used to work a few weeks ago, so me and my colleagues have verified that there are no contracts/agreements to sign at iTunes Connect.

Can you help?

kind regards,

Robert Welz

Softwaredeveloper

Berlin, Germany

Robert Welz  |  Software Development ThinPrint

ThinPrint GmbH  |  Alt-Moabit 91 a/b  |  10559 Berlin  |  Germany

Tel.: +49 (0)30 394931-0  |  Fax: +49 (0)30 394931-99

www.thinprint.com  |  robert.welz@thinprint.com

Hmmm, there seems to be multiple issues in play here.  The following post is specifically aimed at the folks seeing the error To use this application, you must first sign in to iTunes Connect and sign the relevant contracts. (1048).  If you’re having some other issue, my recommendation is that you start a new thread (still here in Distribution > Mac Apps) so that we can discuss your issue separately.

With regards the sign the relevant contracts error, earlier I wrote:

Yeah, I’m seeing the same thing with the account I use for testing notarisation.  I’ve escalated this internally.

It turns out that my account was suffering from this error because of the weird way it was created (it being an internal account and all).  That’s fixed now, but various posts here indicate that other, external accounts are seeing similar problems.

So, if you are seeing a sign the relevant contracts error:

1. Please double check both Developer > Account and App Store Connect > Agreements, Tax, and Banking to make sure your agreements are in order.  That’s the most obvious cause of this problem.

IMPORTANT If you’re a member of multiple teams, make sure you select the correct team on both of these pages.

Note You do not need to agree to the Paid Apps agreement to use the notarisation service.

2. If your agreements are in order and you still get this error, please file a bug.  Make sure to include:

• Your Apple ID

• Your Team ID

• A screen shot of the error, if you submitted via Xcode

• A Terminal transcript of the error, if you submitted via altool

• A rough indication of the time of the error

Please post your bug number here so I can get a better understanding of how prevalent this is.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

ITGuy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm experiencing this issue as well after having accepted all available agreements.

apple4ever Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Add my name to the list of those who are experiencing it. I submited a case through Apple Developer Support.

nicoeng Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Is anyone from Apple reading this?

This issue is now getting critical to me. It has been two weeks since I cannot get anything notarized.

Due to this I cannot distribute new versions of my Kernel extension.

Bugs reports does not seem to help either, still no answer from Apple about mine.

Anyone got luckier here?

salmanikram Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

i have the same issue. Any solution?

My feedback id is FB6154458

Jaanus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I kept getting the same error 1048 for notarizing a desktop app. In my case, what happened was that my user was a member of two developer accounts. One account had all agreements in order, and this is the account that I used for building/distribution. The other account needed to accept the paid apps agreement update. Even though the other account had nothing to do with my app, this is what fixed the issue for me.

apple4ever Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

HOLY COW THAT WAS IT!!!!

Thank you so much for figuring that out!

Its not right that ALL teams you are a part of need to sign it when you aren't using that team for notarization. I actually had to leave both my other teams.

KR-san Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Aaaaaaah! I finally understood.
                                            I thought that Apple Connect does not matter.
                                            Because it's a description about app for macOS. It isn't iOS.
                                            "What is Eskimo saying?" I first thought.
                                            But It's wrong. I had to register contacts in Apple Connect.

Okay, Apple hope to unify management of macOS and iOS.
                                            And need "strict" contracts and procedures. I agree with it.
                                            But I think description and indication is not enough.

apple4ever wrote:

Its not right that ALL teams you are a part of need to sign it when you aren't using that team for notarization.

KR-san wrote:

Because it's a description about app for macOS. It isn't iOS.

There’s no doubt that the diagnostics for these problems could be better.  Please feel free to file a bug report about anything that you find particularly misleading.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

LD_PCSM_ios Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi eskimo,

We still continue having the same problem.

Can you explain a little bit more in detail the steps to fix it?

AFAIK it is related with belong to two teams and both of them must have the agreements accepted. It's Right?

How can I know if it is my situation?

Can you give me more details?

Thank you in advance.

FB5419144

rookwood Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

You can add me to the list - I'm no longer able to submit our file for notarization, after weeks of success. Of course this happens as we try to release a new version of our product. Any news on this? Our accounts and contracts are in order from what I can tell. Thanks

FB6176216

LD_PCSM_ios Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi eskimo,

There is any news about this. We still have this problem and it is blocking a release of our products.

Thanks

FB5419144

There is any news about this.

I’m working one-on-one with a few developers to see if I get get a better handle on the most common causes of this.  The most common problem seems to be something along the lines of:

1. The developer is a member of multiple teams.

2. One of those teams has not signed an agreement.

3. They are not specifying --asc-provider, and thus are accidentally submitting as this team.

4. They are not head honcho on that team, and thus can’t see that there are pending agreements.

However, I’m still working this issue and it’s possible that there are subtleties that I’ve missed.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

StevoGTA Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've been away on vacation but now back and trying to get a major release through.  Previously the Notary Service was working just fine, but now I'm seeing the same issues reported here.

Reported as FB6579666

osx.developer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello,

Has there been any news?  If you have an Enterpise account there is no option to enter Tax Agreements and Banking information.  It seems accepting those agreements might have fixed the issue for some, but what about if those agreements are not applicable to your account type?

Thank you,

Jeff

I’ve been helping a bunch of different folks with the To use this application, you must first sign in to iTunes Connect and sign the relevant contracts. (1048) error.  So far I’ve uncovered three different potential causes:

• Contracts (A) — This is the ‘obvious’ cause of this problem, one that I discussed above in point 1 of my 1 Jun post, above.

• Multiple teams and Xcode (B) — If you’re submitting via Xcode, be aware that there is currently a bug whereby, if you’re a member of multiple teams, it selects the ‘wrong’ team and trigger this problem (r. 52206810).

To check whether you’re experiencing this specific problem, try submitting using altool from the command line (per Customizing the Notarization Workflow).  If that works and Xcode fails, you know that you fall into this category.

Note You don’t need to notarise your main app to run this test.  Rather, use altool to notarise a trivial test app and see whether that works.

We’re hoping to resolve this issue sooner rather than later but, for the moment, you can work around it by submitting with altool.

• Enterprise teams — There’s an ongoing problem that causes this error for In-House (Enterprise) teams.  If you’re working in an Enterprise team and you’ve ruled out A and B, you should file a bug per the instructions in point 2 of my 1 Jun post (unless you’ve already done so).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”