notarization throws error

This thread has been locked by a moderator.

On using notarization from command line on Mojave 10.14.5 as below:

xcrun altool --notarize-app --primary-bundle-id "" -u "***" -p "***" -f "***.zip"

The following error is observed :

To use this application, you must first sign in to iTunes Connect and sign the relevant contracts. (1048)

Currenlty latest XCode 10.2.1 is being used despite of that this error is observed. I am able to successfully login to developer account and itunesconnect account which does not display any contracts/agreements.

What could be missing?

Up vote post of ncel
26k views

Accepted Reply

OK, I finally manage to come up with a definitive process for resolving this problem. See Error 1048 When Notarising.

To avoid further confusion, I’m going to lock this thread and mark this answer as correct [1]. If you experience the 1048 error and can’t resolve it using the process described in my new post, please feel free to start a new thread with the Notarization tag.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] Specifically, this post subsumes all the advice I’ve posted earlier on this thread.

Replies

To use this application, you must first sign in to iTunes Connect and sign the relevant contracts. (1048)

ncel, Please get in touch with me directly (my email address is in my signature).

For anyone else, if you were unable to notarise because of this error sometime over the past week, please try again now. If you still have the error, first check that your agreements are in order. If they are, please post a follow-up here.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thanks for the response. I tried again later yesterday and it notarized successfully.

I tried again later yesterday and it notarized successfully.

Cool. I’d still like you to get in touch though. It’s important for us to understand why this problem affected you and not other developers [1]. I can’t go into the gory details here, but if we can capture some info from you now then that might help us avoid this problem occurring again in the future.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

[1] Curiously, the problem also showed up in the team that I use to run notarisation tests, which is why I know so much about it.

Sure. I will respond in mail.

Also I had another query regarding stapling the ticket to the notarised binary.

Is it mandatory to staple the ticket to the binary/pkg? I understand network connection would be required for Gatekeeper to validate. But can we still continue to notarize the binaries and not staple the ticket?

I will respond in mail.

Thanks!

Also I had another query regarding stapling the ticket to the notarised binary.

If you create a new thread for that question — in the same topic area, that is, Distribution > Mac Apps — I’ll respond there.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hello eskimo,

I have started to experience same problem. I was able to notarize app succesfully. I tried 2 mins after (I am testing how to automatise proccess) and I got that error.

What can I do please? I need to finish that process ASAP

Thanks in advance

Yeah, I’m seeing the same thing with the account I use for testing notarisation. I’ve escalated this internally.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

I am also getting this error. The process had been working, but it started failing yesterday (May 29th, some time in the evening). I am using the "altool" command line tool. Here is the output:

Package Summary:

1 package(s) were not uploaded because they had problems:

/var/folders/yy/4xkwd28904l32hm7f4gv7prm0000gn/T/163C9E5E-F2CF-4A3A-BCFA-F37FF6F03232/Untitled.itmsp - Error Messages:

2019-05-30 11:05:38.578 altool[93521:8759263] *** Error: To use this application, you must first sign in to iTunes Connect and sign the relevant contracts. (1048)

Upload failed

Hello,

I also got this error "To use this application, you must first sign in to iTunes Connect and sign the relevant contracts. (1048)" in Xcode's Organizer while I have been able to notarize my app 4 days ago.

I checked App Store Connect (I guess there is no iTunes Connect as http://itunesconnect.apple.com immediately redirects to https://appstoreconnect.apple.com ?) and my 2 only contracts are marked green.

As a new member of the developer program, I cannot distribute with my Developer ID without notarization: it shows this popup "ProductName.app" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. The software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

So this issue is delaying the release of my product. Asking all my users to right-click then Open is obviously not an option.

Is there a way to confirm that there no missing contract or other issue on my side and that it is only a temporary technical issue on Apple's Notarization service side?

Notarization service looks to be back and working now! I could successfully upload and notarize the archive of my app that was previously failing (so without any change on my side).

Actually looks to be down again. Tried updating to Xcode 10.2.1 (was using 10.2) but that didn't help.

And regarding previous "success", although the app was notarized (notification and e-mail received), I've not been able to download it in Xcode's Organizer (showing "Processing").

I'm also seeing this! Hopefully it can be fixed soon as I am desperate to get a production build out

same here. i've notarized 6 times in the past hours, always get the 'success' email after 2 minutes, but am unable to download the result using Xcode. tried on 2 different Macs.

Hmmm, there seems to be multiple issues in play here. The following post is specifically aimed at the folks seeing the error To use this application, you must first sign in to iTunes Connect and sign the relevant contracts. (1048). If you’re having some other issue, my recommendation is that you start a new thread (still here in Distribution > Mac Apps) so that we can discuss your issue separately.

With regards the sign the relevant contracts error, earlier I wrote:

Yeah, I’m seeing the same thing with the account I use for testing notarisation. I’ve escalated this internally.

It turns out that my account was suffering from this error because of the weird way it was created (it being an internal account and all). That’s fixed now, but various posts here indicate that other, external accounts are seeing similar problems.

So, if you are seeing a sign the relevant contracts error:

1. Please double check both Developer > Account and App Store Connect > Agreements, Tax, and Banking to make sure your agreements are in order. That’s the most obvious cause of this problem.

IMPORTANT If you’re a member of multiple teams, make sure you select the correct team on both of these pages.

Note You do not need to agree to the Paid Apps agreement to use the notarisation service.

2. If your agreements are in order and you still get this error, please file a bug. Make sure to include:

• Your Apple ID

• Your Team ID

• A screen shot of the error, if you submitted via Xcode

• A Terminal transcript of the error, if you submitted via

altool
    • A rough indication of the time of the error

Please post your bug number here so I can get a better understanding of how prevalent this is.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

We accepted an update to the "iOS Paid Apps" agreement and that fixed it for us. I didn't expect the "iOS Paid Apps" agreement to be relevant, since we're only notarizing macOS apps, but that's what fixed it.