OS X 10.11 Beta 6 Won't Boot

Stuck at white screen with the gray Apple logo.

Progress bar is stuck at 75%. Happens every single time I reboot the machine.

Also hangs in Verbose Mode on a line of code pertaining to "Virtual Box".

Boots into Safe Mode. Still hangs after booting into Safe Mode and restarting.

CMD + R for Recovery Mode is unavailable. The system will not recognize the keyboard shortcut during the boot process so I cannot choose my Time Machine backup on my External Drive.
Held the OPTION key to get the Start Up disk selection screen. I connected to my wi-fi I chose the "Recovery Partition 10.11" but nothing happened. Just gray Apple logo with white screen and no progress bar.

How do I wipe the disk and restore from my Time Machine backup if I can't access Recovery Mode and Internet Recovery seems to be DOA?

Replies

Hi ahazel,

I think the problem is the following files:

/Library/Extensions/org.virtualbox.kext.*

Once deleted, you should then be able to boot normally.

Max.

Hi guys, I've got the same problem: installation of El Capitan beta 6 stuck on about 75%. Can't start my iMac in single user or recovery modes. The only one that works is internet recovery mode. Done that and then tried to restore my last backup from time machine, but at the end of the restore my iMac restarted with the same Apple logo and progress bar at 75%. Don't know what else to try. Any idea? Thanks.

I've also had this problem with Beta 5 & Beta 6 installs on my iMac Retina. I've had to restore from Time Machine backups via internet recovery. I've never run VirtualBox so don't have that extention. I am using an Apple Software raid.

Same thing happened to me. Ran internet recovery and chose my last Time Machine backup but when the machine restarted it never made it to the login screen. Progress bar was stuck at 100% this time though.

I am currently repeating the process but this time I am going to choose a backup from like 5 days ago instead of the last backup. If that doesn't work then I am going to try deleting the Virtual Box files like everyone is suggesting that I do.

Same problem on my side - Beta 6 Update - stucks in boot at 75%
New installation - no change - stuck 75%

Any ideas about?

El Capitan Beta 6 panics immediately on boot for me. Recovery mode won't initialize. MacBook Pro: 2015. I do not have virtualbox instances. No useful debug message on the screen.

Outside of Internet Recovery, is there any way to just reformat the hard drive and re-install?

Interestingly, I plugged in a time machine backup drive (and that is ALL I did). I thought I would try booting into recovery mode just to see and it decided to work this time. I was able to boot into recovery mode, then invoked "Reinstall OSX". This took a while, but when the machine finished I was up and running again. No data loss. Unfortunately, the mail client won't open but I have another app for that and it can wait until the next beta update.

I didn't restore from the time machine drive, but merely plugging it in allowed me to boot into Recovery mode....

I will also say, that having this happen only once in all the years I have been an Apple user is fantastic. I remember having to do this several times a year when I used to use a competing OS.

Hi!

A "me, too" here. Immediate kernel panic. I'm restoring from TimeMachine the third time now. Nothing else has worked. This happens on my late 2013 iMac, but upgrading to Beta 6 worked fine on my 2009 iMac. Haven't tried the MacBook Air yet.

Darn...

Cheers,

Kim

hi,

same problem here. I managed to restore a time machine backup by first booting into safe mode (holding shift at startup). It then seems to finish the install, and after rebooting i had access to system recovery (cmd + R).

Unfortunaltely the restore point had the update allready downloaded and it reinstalled it ... So here we go again for 4 hours of restore through time machine with an older backup. I will try to delete the org.virtualbox.kext.vboxdrv file mentioned : i think i installed it a long time ago and probably didn't delete it in a clean way.

DIdn't have the problem at all with beta 5 by the way.

i'm up again in beta 6 (with all my data 🙂 ) !

The restore was successfull. I applied the bash script found on virtualbox website : it removed the extension (and another one), and then I downloaded and installed the beta 6 through mac app store again, and it worked like a charm ! ( the second step of the installation process has been done this time in sequence, on the opposite it was only done in safe mode with the virtual box extension installed).

After the restore to Beta 5, I uninstalled my Virtural Box install (an old one by the way) and the migration to Beta 6 went smoothly with no issues.

Same here, but I did not have my backups with me and a slow internet connection. So before starting the recovery process all over (would take me six upgrades) I started looking for the suspicious files using Terminal in Recovery mode.

Well, I did not have any VirtualBox *.kext files in my system. So I have moved everything out of MacIntosh HD/Library/Extensions (to another folder) and the update of El Capitan beta 6 continues.

Now - I wonder what do I need to put back into extension folder. Here is what I used to have there:

ACS6x.kext

ArcMSR.kext

ATTOCelerityFC8.kext

ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext

ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext

BJUSBLoad.kext

CalDigitHDProDrv.kext

CIJUSBLoad.kext

HighPointIOP.kext

HighPointRR.kext

hp_io_enabler_compound.kext

PromiseSTEX.kext

SoftRAID.kext

Do you think any of the above are needed to run the system?

Jarek

Hello,

you can find the script I was talking about to remov eVBox file (that are hidden, not always in the same folder I think) here : http://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Installer/darwin/DiskImage/VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool

Onluy this did the trick for me (it removed 2 .kext files)

Jarek,

I have only these files in my Extensions folder on a machine that successfully upgraded to Beta 6:

ACS6x.kext

ArcMSR.kext

ATTOCelerityFC8.kext

ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext

ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext

CalDigitHDProDrv.kext

HighPointIOP.kext

HighPointRR.kext

hp_io_enabler_compound.kext

PromiseSTEX.kext

SoftRAID.kext

On the machine that didn't upgrade, I've got a lot more files. I'll try to remove the extra files and see if the upgrade works, and then move them back after the upgrade.

This is quite interesting...

This is what I had in my Extensions folder (along with the Virtual Box files that I already deleted):

ACS6x.kext

ArcMSR.kext

ATTOCelerityFC8.kext

ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext

ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext

BJUSBLoad.kext - I don't have this

CalDigitHDProDrv.kext

DuetDisplay.kext - I know this is for an app I own called Duet Display

CIJUSBLoad.kext - I don't have this

HighPointIOP.kext

HighPointRR.kext

LogitechHIDDevices.kext - Stuff for my mouse