How do I turn on 2FA for a dev account that is not an email address?

I have lost the ability to get my apps onto my iphone, or to build to my Mac.
I Xcode it for my app on the General | Signing, it says:

"Unable to log in with account "logistes".

"Sign in to try again."
I click the sign in button and enter my password, and the situation stays the same.
Below that is says:
"Xcode couldn't find any iOS App Development provisioning profiles matching ..."
This seems to be happening because I have one apple ID for the phone, one based on an email address, but the older apple ID, which I have been using for about 10 years, is just a simple username.
Can someone please get me out of this quandry?
---
Mark

Replies

I suggest you change your old Apple ID to be in the form of an e-mail address. That is pretty much the only thing that Apple will allow you to with those old Apple IDs. I have one too and I'm going to keep it until the last possible second. But for my developer work, I always play by the rules. I have a separate, e-mail Apple ID for that.

Speaking of 2FA, it's REALLY dumb. I logged into AppStoreConnect from a different location using the same MacBook that I always use. It prompted for the 2FA PIN again, which was bad enough, but it sent the PIN TO the MacBook I was using! What good is it if it sends the PIN to the device that is trying to log in???

It is not designed to protect the device. It is designed to protect your account. If someone steals your device, then you will need to remove that device from your list. Two-factor authentication is designed to protect your Apple ID and all associated services (such as iCloud and your developer account) from people who are hacking from their own devices.