6 Replies
      Latest reply on May 18, 2019 5:08 AM by wingflyer
      wingflyer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Question to the community on what I am missing.   I have two apps, both compile and use the exact same network connection code libraries.  The difference between the two apps is that they support two different games - Game1 and Game2.

In both cases, the flow is that the user must login to our game server first, during which time a connecting dialog shows until they connect.

The Game1 game passed with flying colors the first time - no issues, and passed again with flying colors with a recent update submission to Apple.

The Game2 game was accepted for the first version but is now consistently rejected with "..app loaded indefinitely.." and returns a screenshot of the connecting dialog.

Even with the latest version I submitted, where I added a timeout window after 25 seconds, I still get the same rejection reason, with a screenshot of the connecting dialog - which makes me wonder if the tester did not wait long enough to see the timeout message.

So in summary:

* I am using QT Creator 4.9.0 that compiles for IOS and then I use XCode 10.1 to compile, build and archive to upload to the app store.

* They both used the same, identical network connection libraries.

* I followed the exact same parameters for both games when compiling first in QT and then to XCode.

* There are no added capabilities in either game.

* I have created AdHoc versions through the HockeyApp application and tested them and they all work fine and there is no network connection issues - whether using Wifi network or cellular.  I have used the XCode simulator for IOS devices and everything works fine.

* I've tested for both IPV4 and through the iMac for IPV6 and they work fine as well.

Any suggestions as to what I may be missing or need to check that would cause it to fail to connect with the Apple tester for Game2 and not the other (Game1), and yet both work when I test them myself?

Thanks in advance

• Re: "..app loaded indefinitely.."
          KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,505 points)

>was accepted for the first version but is now consistently rejected

• Did you appeal?
          • If so, what did you say?
          • How many times?
          • How many rejections?
          • What did each rejection say?
          • Did you request a console log?
          • Were you told to resubmit?

>a connecting dialog shows until they connect. I added a timeout window after 25 seconds

Did you note that 'feature' in app 2's meta data review notes? Did you discuss it at all w/review? Do both apps have that timer? Did the screenshot from review show the 'connection dialog' or the timeout window?

chuckc192000 Level 3 Level 3 (215 points)

I don't think you can appeal an app failing to function for the review team.  They don't care that the code is the same for both apps.  All they care about is that the app they're reviewing right now doesn't work for some reason.

It's possible the apps were reviewed in wildly different locations, like California and Malaysia, with varying degrees of network connectivity.

>I don't think you can appeal an app failing to function for the review team

My question wasn't a suggestion to try that, if that's what you meant...it was just to try to learn more about what's gone on so far.

>possible the apps were reviewed in wildly different locations

A factor, perhaps.

• Did you appeal?
                    • Yes
                  • If so, what did you say?
                    • Two things - the screenshot of the Connecting Dialong doesn't show a date or time - wanted to know what type of device they are testing on.  Also whether they waited at least 30 seconds before giving up - if they didn't see the timeout message, then maybe they are not testing the right version.
                  • How many times?
                    • First time since inserting the timeout message.
                  • How many rejections?
                    • Counting all the ones before this - 4
                  • What did each rejection say?
                    • Exact same thing....app loaded indefinitely, and a refence to the app testing guide and network guide.
                  • Did you request a console log?
                    • Didn't know that was possible, so no.
                  • Were you told to resubmit?
                    • Inferred as always - when it is rejected, asked to fix the problem and resubmit.

>a connecting dialog shows until they connect. I added a timeout window after 25 seconds

Did you note that 'feature' in app 2's meta data review notes? Did you discuss it at all w/review? Do both apps have that timer? Did the screenshot from review show the 'connection dialog' or the timeout window?

I know nothing about the "Feature" for meta data.

Only the one that keeps getting rejected has the timer - I added it AFTER the first passed with no problem, and the second one kept getting rejected.

No, it shows the connecting dialog only and I asked about this.

The confusing thing, which I asked and they just repeated back the same rejection text, was did the "app loading indefinitely" indicate they were testing a purposely failed network connection or not.

As mentioned before Game1 has passed successfully through two versions, on first try.  Game2 passed on the first version, but not on the second one.

This is why I keep wondering is there is some unknown.   I don't think it is because that Game1 is consisently testing in California, and the Game2 is tested in India.

Good info, thanks.

>I know nothing about the "Feature" for meta data.

Keyword was 'note', the 'feature', being a built-in timer presumably deemed a required element, was what could have been noted - In each app's meta data, there is a 'note' field the dev can use to alert review of various things the dev feels might help understand and use that app. I was just curious if you availed yourself of that opportunity...not a big deal, I expect. Not sure it would earn you a pass, tho.

>Game2 is tested in India.

>..app loaded indefinitely, and a refence to the app testing guide and network guide.

So to be clear, that's where your DIY timer plays a role and those are the only things loading from your servers? What is the download MB size?

Might want to either work to improve your server (located where? provided by whom?) performance in such examples, or simply take it off sale where it underperforms, or consider reducing the payload size so the download time is shorter, or that content can be part of the app itself.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip on the Note meta data

The download is trivial - less than 2 K.  The server is built and currently can handle 100,000 connections - usually population is less than 2000 at a time.

And as said before, Game1 has no problem, it's only Game2 that has the issue and the download sizes are the same as Game2.

Update,  I heard back from the testers and they insist they let it run for 5 minutes and never see the timeout message.  This again works in all cases other than with the apple testers.  It is even integrated in Game1 and works perfectly there as well.

The only two explanations I can come up with is that

a.  They are not testing the right version - unlikely, I hope!

b.   There is some aspect/configuration in their testing that is causing my app not to work - just for one app.

I'll have to continue search on my side, but anything suggestions would still be appreciated.

I was hoping someone may actually ran across a similar problem, or had a "gotcha" moment that causes networking not to work on the tester side, but does work on all developer testing.