LocalSearch with search string now ignores region

Would love to know if this is still working for anyone else...we use MKLocalSearchRequest with its naturalLanguageQuery input to search within regions the user specifies, but it's suddenly started returning only results near the user's current location instead. It started happening in our released app recently, but I reproduced it below with a search for "Gas" in a map region for Las Vegas: the 10 results returned are all near our current location in Redmond, WA.

Thanks for any ideas!

••• Here's how the MKLocalSearchRequest is configured:

<MKLocalSearchRequest: {

naturalLanguageQuery = Gas;

region = "<center:+36.16607319, -115.15467488 span:+0.28281412, +0.23500683>";

••• 10 mapItems are returned with MKLocalSearch, all near our location in Redmond, WA

Edit: Search requests that instead use MKLocalSearchCompletion and region are also affected. For example, if you use MKLocalSearchCompleter to generate suggestions for "gas", and then use the MKLocalSearchCompletion with title="gas stations" and subtitle="Search Nearby", the map region is ignored by MKLocalSearch, and again only gas stations near your current location are returned.

Replies

I just noticed the same thing today on my released app, not sure when this behavior started. For what it's worth, I'm located in the southeast US.

Sounds like you should file a bug report.

Thanks, good to know others are seeing this too. I'm not sure when it started either, but we noticed it Wednesday. We did file bug report 50605578 then too, but junkpile is right anyone seeing this problem should file one too in case it helps get it fixed.

Hey Carob,

Could you re-test this please?

-Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks so much for following-up. Searches started working as normal yesterday for us in the Seattle area, and most users have reported back it's working for them as well. However, as of this morning we still have at least one user who is reporting the same problems. He's in Cypress, TX and from his description we can infer that MKLocalSearchCompletion's with "search nearby" are still returning results near his current location instead of the current map region, and MKLocalSearchRequest's with a region parameter set are ignoring the region.

Do you have any ideas why some users might still be affected?

After working for most users last night and today, unfortunately it has stopped working again tonight. I don't have the locations of users contacting us about this outage, but it's no longer working for us in the Seattle area.

We are also seeing this. We are in Colorado. It seems that MKLocalSearch prefers your cellular region or ISP connection over the region passed.

Has anyone found a workaround?

so do I. I search poi in other countries however i only get the poi in my country.

The last time we saw this issue was mid-day May 15th. Both MKLocalSearchRequests and MKLocalSearchCompletions like in my original post have been working for us since then. I just tried a couple searches across the US and Peru and they worked correctly. I was under the impression it was now fixed, and our bug report was to be closed as a duplicate so I'm not aware of any other status.