Apple TV 4K bricked in single app mode

I put a supervised Apple TV in sigle app mode.

Things were working fine until I unplugged the device from power.

After replugging power, the designated app restarted correctly, but the Apple TV lost its pairing with the Mac I previously used for the configuration and there is not way to make it visible again. Choosing paired devices from the Apple Configurator 2 won't show anything.

Even unplugging or trying a reset via remote (menu+home for 6 seconds) won't improve the situation: the Apple TV just restarts with the designated app and won't show up among paired devices.

Even Xcode won't show the Apple TV among connected devices.

Is there any way to exit from this ? Is there a way to force disable single app mode ? (so to at least gain access to Apple TV's settings menu)

Accepted Reply

Hi iGerbil,

Did you find a way to restore the AppleTV?

Thank you.

Replies

Hi iGerbil,

Did you find a way to restore the AppleTV?

Thank you.

Wow remind me not to try this on my Apple TV 4k.😮

Yes, the problem was solved by bringing the aTV to an Apple Store: device replaced, no questions asked!

I have exactly the same problem, does someone have a solution without replacing AppleTV ?

Today replaced in AppStore. Had the same issue with the single-app mode. AppleTV A2169

We had this same issue recently and found that if you quickly disconnect and reconnect the power cable multiple times very rapidly it will bring up a reset option on the apple tv and allows you to wipe the device. Hope this helps.