Non-Renewing Subscription multiple Times

Hi,

I am new at adding in-app purchases / subscriptions to my app.

To help understand the issue I have, lets say we are going to register Cars to the cloud.

My app connects to my cloud and asks the user for the login. Once the user logs in, it will then allow the user to add a Car to there cloud login.

However, I am charging a fee for the user to add each Car. So I am using the in-app purchase to do this. Once the payment is made it then sends a message to the cloud and registers the Car to there cloud login. (user can select per 30 days, 120 days or 365 days, but can also do the in-app purchase on Android as well, so they may not want to do the in-app purchase all the time on iOS)

I orginally added the Consumable in-app purchase to the app to make this payment. However Apple review team rejected the app due to using the Consumable in-app purchase and said I needed to use the Non-Renewing Subscription.

Using the Consumable in-app purchase it works fine and does everything I need as I need the user to make multiple in-app purchases.

When using the Non-Renewing Subscription like Apple is suggesting will not work correctly based on how my cloud works.

Let's say the customer wants to register CarA then they can register for 30 days (Non-Renewing Subscription ProductID: '30day')

So far so good.

Now they want to register CarB, as they have 2 Cars. As I am charging per Car they need to do another Non-Renewing Subscription for the next car. This user wants to register the next car (CarB) for 30 days (just like the first car) they select the same Non-Renewing Subscription ProductID: '30day'.

The issue I have is, the user can only subscribe once per Non-Renewing Subscription ProductID.

When they try and purchase the Non-Renewing Subscription for the second car (CarB) it comes up saying, "You've subscribed to this in the past" "Tab Buy to renew or extend this subscription".

It looks like you can only subscribe once per Non-Renewing Subscription, and you can't subscribe multiplle times. If I could use the Consumable in-app purchase like I originally used then there would be no issue.

Any suggestions on how to make the above work ?

The only way I thought of doing (not sure if Apple will reject the app again) if I do the following..

Rather than doing a in-app purchase per Car, I thought of doing a Consumable in-app purchase like I orginally did but to add 'credit' to the users profile on the cloud, then the user can register there car from the credit on the cloud. Then the Consumable in-app purchase can just add credit and would solve my issue.

Would this resolve my issue or would Apple reject my app ?

Just trying to work out how to do this on the iOS platform, without doing the in-app subscription as it seems to only work if you subscribe the once and not multiple times.

Replies

> Rather than doing a in-app purchase per Car, I thought of doing a Consumable in-app purchase like I orginally did but to add 'credit' to the users profile on the cloud, then the user can register there car from the credit on the cloud. Then the Consumable in-app purchase can just add credit and would solve my issue.

That seems to be a common way other developers deal with it. For example, in a game you can buy “coins” using the IAP APIs on each platform. The coins are associated with your “account” on the server side. Things you do with the coins are stored on the server side and show up on all platforms whenever you log in with that account.

But nobody here can guarantee that any particular approach or implementation will pass review, unfortunately. App review always has the final say.

> The issue I have is, the user can only subscribe once per Non-Renewing Subscription ProductID.

When they try and purchase the Non-Renewing Subscription for the second car (CarB) it comes up saying, "You've subscribed to this in the past" "Tab Buy to renew or extend this subscription".

The user can purchase the subscription over and over again. Each time they purchase the subscription you can apply it to another car. You only need to warn the user that Apple will say "...to renew or extend this subscription" but what "extend" means is "apply to another car".

You can use a consumable but a consumable can not expire; it survives until it is consumed. That means the consumable will have to represent a "credit" that never expires. The user can use that credit whenever they want to obtain a 30-day period for a new car. Once the conusmable is used to obtain a 30-day period then that consumable, which never expired, is consumed. Sounds a bit contorted, yes, but it bends nicely onto iteself.

Just so I understand, if I use a Non-Renewing Subscription (which cost $4.99) it comes up saying enter the password to make the payment.. So far so good.

Lets say in 5 days time, then hit the button to make another payment (Non-Renewing Subscription with the same ProductID at $4.99) it comes up asking to enter the password and then it comes up saying "You've subscibed to this in the past, tap Buy to renew or extend this subscription"

If the user hits Buy, what happens to the previous purchase they did 5 days ago?

Does the pro-rata get refunded to the user for the orginal purchase, or does it keep the orginal purchase without refunding anything and the user would of got changed in total of $9.98 since he purchased it twice?

I just submitted an app for review but got knocked back. I was using a in-app consumable to add credit to the users cloud account. The review team still said I had to use an Non-Renewing Subscription. However I am trying to work out what happens if they purchase the same Non-Renewing Subscription twice, and trying to work out what happens to the previous purchase if they renew the Non-Renewing Subscription as I don't want it to refund anything to the customer when they do the Non-Renewing Subscription again the second time.

You decide what you want to give the user who subscribes and renews at a given time. I typically extend the subscription end date by one more subscription time period. So if a user subscribes 2 times to a 30 day subscription their expiration date shows up as 60 days in the future. No refunds.

Another approach is to not allow an additional purchase if the subscription has not yet expired. (i.e. don't show 'tap here to subscribe' until shortly before expiration)