4 Replies
      Latest reply on May 10, 2019 1:15 PM by rdc
      rdc Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

How to delete unwanted old simulator files that are using lots of Gb of memory in xcode?

Preferably without using Terminal? Can that really be the only option?

Any advice gratefully received!

• Re: Delete old simulator files
          KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,555 points)

Did you use the simulator menu to reset?

Have you used Xcode to delete derived data/option-clean build folder?

hello KMT, many thanks for your reply,

not exactly sure what you mean by "sim menu to reset" do you mean  "hardware - restart", or "hardware - reset all content and settings"

I have looked at derived data, it is the archive file for my project. It's 300MB, so that's not the problem!

My "system" storage is over 60GB so I am thinking that it's old XCode simulators.

There are fixes for this on StackOverflow but they use Terminal, surely there's  another way?

Any ideas appreciated

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,555 points)

Sorry, when you said 'old files' I thought you meant old project files/apps.

You mean 'detele old simulators'*...

Which version Xcode are you using? How many versions of Xcode do you have installed?

Seen the discussion here?

h ttps://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/306566/can-i-delete-unnecessary-device-simulators-of-xcode

*Note that the current main simulator app itself is inside the application Xcode.

KMT, many thanks for your help.

I have found many many files in:  ~/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/

There are probably over 100 folders in there, and they are using over 17G of memory. Zikes.

I have deleted simulators from within XCode, but these files still remain.

I think this is where my problem is, does anyone know if there are any problems deleting them?

Are they old simulators from previous versions of XCode?