Getting "File exceeds max size allowed over cellular" errors while streaming audio

Some customers are getting errrors:

"The operation couldn’t be completed. (CoreMediaErrorDomain error -17760 - File exceeds max size allowed over cellular.)"

While trying to stream over https on a AVQueuePlayer.

I'm unsure if this is a AVFoundation or Networking related, but it's weird, and it seems to happen on customers using ATT (I'm not able to reproduce the errors and I got the errors from customers log files). File is streamed from an apache server, and are not exceptionally long.

This is the actual answer from the server for a failing file.

Content-Length: 67553037

Content-Type: audio/mp4

Any hint or help will be appreciated. Restarting the device seemed to solve the problem for a customer (not solved for sure on a second one, unsure abouth a third one).

Accepted Reply

Just to get back with the answer for future people with the same problem. The application has a setting that allows users to block cellular access. The block is done via the AVURLAssetAllowsCellularAccessKey option of AVURLAsset initialization.

The error "CoreMediaErrorDomain error -17760 - File exceeds max size allowed over cellular" is the error the system returns when a AVPlayer with as asset loaded with this option tries to play the resource via cellular. The error don't seem especially well worded, but is my fault to not identify it.

Replies

I'm unsure if this is a AVFoundation or Networking related

This is definitely AVFoundation related, and I’ve moved your thread to a topic area where you’re more likely to encounter folks who are experienced with it.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Just to add further information: it also happened to a customer in NZ with the carrier Spark, and it solved by itself after being connected to wifi for a while. It's a mistery.

Just to get back with the answer for future people with the same problem. The application has a setting that allows users to block cellular access. The block is done via the AVURLAssetAllowsCellularAccessKey option of AVURLAsset initialization.

The error "CoreMediaErrorDomain error -17760 - File exceeds max size allowed over cellular" is the error the system returns when a AVPlayer with as asset loaded with this option tries to play the resource via cellular. The error don't seem especially well worded, but is my fault to not identify it.