Public API that checks the status of Do Not Disturb (DND) while Driving.

Our team is developing a product to help reduce teenage cell phone usage while driving. The product hinges on being able to detect the status of Do Not Disturb While Diriving. I submtted a bug report but got a response that it was a duplicate report with not amplifying information.

Is there a way to find out if this fuction is planned to be available in the future? Is it feasable to be able to chedk the status of DND based on Apple's concerns with APPs controling core functions?

Is there a function / setting that DND While Driving sets that a public API can check the status of?

Thank you.

Replies

I submtted a bug report but got a response that it was a duplicate report with not amplifying information.

What was your bug number?

Is there a way to find out if this fuction is planned to be available in the future?

In general, Apple doesn’t discuss future plans.

Is there a function / setting that DND While Driving sets that a public API can check the status of?

Not that I’m aware of, but I’d caution you about going down that path anyway. In my experience, using setting A to infer the value of setting B is a binary compatibility trap, because such connections can change over time.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Quinn,

Thank you for the info.

My bug numbers is: 49296311

Our team wants to limit cell phone usage while driving. The DNDWD option performs most of the tasks we were planning, and Apple will most likely not allow us to control the core functions of the iphone. We then shifted efforts to ensure DNDWD is enabled. I assume Apple will not let us toggle DNDWD on and off with a public API. So we have to make a concession and just check to see if it is enabled. If it is, the APP can proceed to its main funciton. If it isn't, then the APP will prompt the user to enable DNDWD. I can see your point with regard to resting the main function of an APP on a binary toggle that can change (with no control over the change).

Thank you again for your help. I hope all is well.

GIMP-Daddy

My bug numbers is: 49296311

Thanks.

What was your bug number?

Look at the original bug (r. 47904080), it appears to have been closed as not to be fixed. However, it was a very far-reaching request, much more so than your request to simply check on the status of Do Not Disturb feature. As such, I think it’s reasonable that you continue pursuing your bug.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Quinn,

How do I continue to pursue my bug? Do I just submit another one?

Thank you again.

GIMP-Daddy

How do I continue to pursue my bug?

Add a new comment to your bug explaining, based on this DevForums conversation (include the URL), you think that this isn’t a valid duplicate and you’d like to reconsidered.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Perfect. Thank you Quinn. Have a great day!.

Hi,

I'm also looking for the public API to check status and control the DND or Airplane mode with user's permission.

So Is there any latest update on this question?

Thanks!
Natarajan S

I'm also looking for the public API to check status and control the
DND or Airplane mode with user's permission.

OK, there’s four combinations here:
  • DND vs Airplane mode

• Check vs control

I can address three of these:
  • You’re very unlikely to get an API to control these settings. See my earlier post about that.

• With regards checking the status of DND, the bug mentioned upstream (r. 49296311) was closed as “not to be fixed” because of its privacy implications.

• With regards checking the status of Airplane Mode, that’s not something that’s come up on this thread so far. There is no explicit API for this. You should feel free to file an enhancement request for this but I wouldn’t get your hopes up too high.

If you care about Airplane Mode because its impact on networking, there are techniques you can use to handle this gracefully. Let me know if you need help with that.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Thanks for the prompt reply @eskimo!

I could understand that there is no way to control Airplane Mode or DND programmatically for now. But I wish to have such feature which will help in many situations, for example, I can prompt user to Turn on DND or Airplane mode when they start recording something, so that their audio/video session will not be interrupted by phone calls or other audio/video services.

Also if the privacy is main concern, iOS can confirm with user whenever we request to turn ON/OFF Airplane Mode or DND as like iOS prompting and confirming with users when requesting to delete PHAsset.

I hope we will have public API to control Airplane Mode or DND with users permissions as like other privacy permissions(photos, location, etc) does.

Thank you! Natarajan S