Do I need paid developer account to develop and test Safari App Extension on my own computer ?

I started developing a Safari App Extension while my paid developer account was still active. It recently expired and it appears I am no longer able to test my Safari App Extension on my own computer. Is it because my paid account expired (I'd like to know before I waste my time looking for an error that might or might not be there) ?

Thanks.

Accepted Reply

You don't need a paid developer account. You can just build your app + Safari App Extension without any code signing, and then in Safari, select:

Develop > Allow Unsigned Extensions

Note: You'll need to do this each time you start Safari.

Replies

You can double check, but I don't see your example listed as requiring a paid account...

Pertaining to Capabilities/what you can or can't do based on account type: https://developer.apple.com/support/app-capabilities/

Note when you get there that 'Sign in with Apple ID' is AKA Xcode's Free Provisioning

What you might want to do is create another Apple ID and Xcode account to use free provisioning, and DIY live-check.

You don't need a paid developer account. You can just build your app + Safari App Extension without any code signing, and then in Safari, select:

Develop > Allow Unsigned Extensions

Note: You'll need to do this each time you start Safari.