XCode 10.2 git error : Couldn’t communicate with a helper application

Hi,

With the latest XCode 10.2, git support seems to always break after some time, forcing me to close xcode, and open it again to have it work correclty again.

When git access is needed, in my local repository (to compare changes or commit) the following message pops-up:

----

Couldn’t communicate with a helper application.

Try your operation again. If that fails, quit and relaunch the application and try again.

----

I had no problems with git with previous versions of XCode.

Any one else having the problem and any clues on how to workaroud it ?

Accepted Reply

Good news! Xcode 11 Beta fixes this problem

Replies

Getting the same error!

Happens here too after some period of time. Searching says the git email and name fieilds need to be configured, but they are configured and the issue still occurs. Only solution appears to be quitting Xcode which is annoying because it keeps recurring

Same here, using XCode 10.2 (10E125). Things I've tried so far:

- Provinding git e-mail and name fields in XCode Preferences (under Source Control -> Git)

- Commiting and pushing using the commandline and then coming back to XCode

- Hitting Source Control -> Fetch and Refresh Status

None of them helped. Does anyone know a workaround?

Hi,

i have the same issue and i still haven't find a way to help solve it.

i have tried add the git user and the git email to the current git project but without success.

Exactly the same for me, too!

I have the same problem as originally described by PacoLabs. It definitely started after upgrading Xcode to 10.2.

I wonder if it has something to do with our git versions…

Air2: jk$ git --version
git version 2.21.0
Air2: jk$ xcrun git --version
git version 2.20.1 (Apple Git-117)

So you see my "real" git is newer. But that's not the answer because Xcode misbehaved in the same way last week, when my "real" git was older. I updated it the other day using homebrew. Either way, Xcode's git stops working after one or two operations and stays broken until I relaunch Xcode.

It might be helpful for someone whose Xcode git is working to run the above two commands on their Mac and see what they get.

I am having the same issue, and running the commands reports that my git(s) are the exact same version:

$ git --version

$ xcrun git --version

Same problem here.

I had no issues until XCode 10.2; since installing 10.2 the Git integration basically started acting weird. Everything is fine until I switch branches (I switch via the Terminal). After that, the integration completely fails and can't be recovered. XCode restart is the only workaround that I was able to find.

Same here. Started with XCode 10.2 and was already present in Xcode 10.2 beta. Also XCode 10.2 periodically loses my GitHub and BitBucket account info.

Obviously, there is a serious bug in Xcode. So I just filed one: 49815119 in https://bugreport.apple.com.

I know, it will soon be closed as a duplicate and maybe fixed in Xcode 11 if we're lucky 😟.

It's a good thing that Xcode's git support has always been so incomplete that we frequently use and still remember the git command line.

I also filled 49612077, 7 days ago (no feedback yet).
So I guess they had 203 042 bugs submitted in 7 days.

Lets see how they will prioritize this ... (I have bugs from 2010 still opened without any feedback)

Getting the same error. This error makes me crazy. Please fix it as soon as posible. It was so handy to use Xcode as diff tool

I had the same problem after upgrading to Xcode 10.2 and setting the name and email from the terminal worked for me:

$ xcrun git config --global user.name "Your name"  
$ xcrun git config --global user.email your.email@example.com

After that i had to restart Xcode and it was working fine again.

Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the problem for me.

Yeah, apparently 10.2.1 does not fix it. Still have this issue. So annoying!