Error code -25308 (errSecInteractionNotAllowed) when accessing shared keychain

I'm developing a react-native app using https://github.com/oblador/react-native-keychain to save and get things from keychain.

The things stored in keychain (and some other things) should be accessible from all our apps. So in xcode under capabilities I have activated an app-group "group.something.test".

I'm using setGenericPassword function of react-native-keychain like this:

await Keychain.setGenericPassword(
      'a username',
      'a password',
      {
        service: 'a userId',
        accessible: Keychain.ACCESSIBLE.ALWAYS,
        accessGroup: 'group.something.test',
        accessControl: Keychain.ACCESS_CONTROL.DEVICE_PASSCODE
      }
    );

In the native module this will store it to the keychain something like this:

SecAccessControlRef sacRef = SecAccessControlCreateWithFlags(kCFAllocatorDefault,
                                                                     kSecAttrAccessibleAlways,
                                                                     kSecAccessControlDevicePasscode,
                                                                     &error);
    NSDictionary *attributes = attributes = @{
        (__bridge NSString *)kSecClass: (__bridge id)(kSecClassGenericPassword),
        (__bridge NSString *)kSecAttrService: service,
        (__bridge NSString *)kSecAttrAccount: username,
        (__bridge NSString *)kSecValueData: [password dataUsingEncoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding],
        (__bridge NSString *)kSecAttrAccessControl] = (__bridge id)sacRef,
        (__bridge NSString *)kSecAttrAccessGroup] = accessGroup;
      };

OSStatus osStatus = SecItemAdd((__bridge CFDictionaryRef) attributes, NULL);

And keychain items are retrieved in the following way:

await Keychain.getGenericPassword({ service: 'a userId' });

Which will will run the following native code:

NSDictionary *query = @{
        (__bridge NSString *)kSecClass: (__bridge id)(kSecClassGenericPassword),
        (__bridge NSString *)kSecAttrService: service,
        (__bridge NSString *)kSecReturnAttributes: (__bridge id)kCFBooleanTrue,
        (__bridge NSString *)kSecReturnData: (__bridge id)kCFBooleanTrue,
        (__bridge NSString *)kSecMatchLimit: (__bridge NSString *)kSecMatchLimitOne,
        (__bridge NSString *)kSecUseOperationPrompt:@"Authenticate to retrieve secret"
      };

CFTypeRef foundTypeRef = NULL;
      OSStatus osStatus = SecItemCopyMatching((__bridge CFDictionaryRef) query, (CFTypeRef*)&foundTypeRef);

This works fine in the first app, I can store and retrieve an item from the keychain.

When I deploy a second app through xcode by just changing Display name and Bundle identifier to something different it also works. I can retrieve the key saved by the first app.

However if I now go back to the first app and try to retrieve the keychain item osStatus is -25308 (errSecInteractionNotAllowed).

If I uninstall the second app, it will start working in the first app again.

What am I doing wrong? Is there something more I need to do in the project settings?

I have also tried with keychain group capability, having the same keychain group as the first index in the keychain groups array, using that id as kSecAttrAccessGroup.

Replies

If, just for the sake of the investigation, you remove the

kSecAttrAccessControl
constraint, does everything work as expected?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Sorry for the late answer, yes if I remove kSecAttrAccessControl and just set kSecAttrAccessible to kSecAttrAccessibleWhenUnlocked it works. This is the work-around I'm using now. But it would prefer to be able to use some kind of access control to be able to get the stored information.

Is this on iOS? If so, I don’t have an immediate answer for you. My recommendation is that you open a DTS tech support incident so that I can allocate some time to help you directly.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"