Storyboard won't zoom when editing macOS app

I'm using XCode 8.2.1 on a MacBook Pro using the most recent macOS.

I just finished rewriting one of my early iOS apps in Swift to get it back on the store. It would be useful to some if it were available to run on laptops, so I thought it might be not too difficult to port it over to macOS.

Right now, for some reason the zoom controls are not present or working for the storyboard, so you cannot back out and see a complex storyboard clearly. It makes it so awkward and slow work that I have suspended developing this app for macOS until this is fixed.

This is such a major bug (which has been already reported by numerous developers, there is a whole discussion outside about this) that I would think it would get fixed pronto. But this doesn't seem to be happening.

Is this just me, am I doing something wrong, is it MacBook Pro specific, or is there a workaround?

Replies

>iOS ideas penetrating into the MacOS world at last.

Did you hear the one about how devs may be able to make one app that works on both? Maybe that's why macOS tools are seemingly out of the loop...

Just piling on here but almost two years later and Apple still hasn't addressed this.

I've submitted a ticket as well (49992845). This is extremely frustrating when you have many view controllers involved and just want to be able to move around your storyboard quickly. It's already been said, but hopefully this gets fixed.

Created a ticket as well (# 50841783). If the storyboard is part of an iOS project, zooming works. If it's a macOS project, it does not. Go figure.

Well, I only used a storyboard on Mac for one small project. I basically used it like a standalone xib, so I didn't need to do zooming. But I always used xibs everywhere else and pretended storyboards didn't exist.

We are approaching Xcode 11, this was reported way back in Xcode 8. I seem to doubt they'll fix it. Looks like they are moving away from IB entirely. But then again, I guess we have to really be careful before we adopt the "new" of anything, as it may end up just like Mac storyboards in 4 years.

No change in XCode 11. Zoom menu is set to 100% with all options greyed out except size to fit which does nothing…

What do you mean

Looks like they are moving away from IB entirely.

Haven't tried the new Xcode Beta, but heard some folks say that new default projects set in Xcode uses the "SwiftUI" stuff instead of a storyboard or xib.

Xcode 11.2.1 has the same bug. I re-filed a bug report in case old ones got lost in the sauce.

I just left a scathing message in Feedback Assistant. This is a very important issue because it is nearly impossible to use StoryBoard on MacOS apps, causes errors, and generally ****** me off. If there is a good reason NOT to fix this, I would understand. But, I can't for the life of me imagine one.

It's 2020 year now.

It is on the list of most wanted features XCode features… https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/127216

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH