10 Replies
      Latest reply on Mar 27, 2019 5:29 AM by aapldevusr
      levili Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

how to trigger sysdiagnose on iPhoneX

• Re: how to trigger sysdiagnose on iPhoneX
          KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,685 points)
            eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (11,835 points)

Instructions for taking a sysdiagnose are posted on our Bug Reporting > Profiles and Logs.  Are you saying that these don’t work on an iPhone X?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
            Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
            let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

mungbeans Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

@eskimo, how should you collect info for a CallKit (Call Directory Extension) Radar? I see nothing for CallKit in the link.

If there’s no advice that’s specific to the area of the system where you’re working, a general sysdiagnose log is the best you can do.  In some cases the relevant engineering team may get back to you asking for more information, but a lot of the time a sysdiagnose log is all that’s needed (there’s a reason why they’re so big :-)

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Revolt Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

No, they don't. They are taking me to the SOS screen.

I have, on occasion, needed to take a sysdiagnose on my SO’s iPhone XS Max, and those instructions worked for me.  The only thing I did differently was to remove her cover; I found the cover made it hard for me to press the buttons simultaneously.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Revolt Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Does it work for you on iPhone 8? Because that's what I'm using, and I have a feeling that those instructions were updated for iPhone X (without the home button) by replacing that instruction instead of adding to it.

Does it work for you on iPhone 8?

Alas, I don’t have an iPhone 8 to test with (or any other device with a solid state Home button).  However, my recollection is that triggering a sysdiagnose has never involved the Home button, and thus the procedure on iPhone 8 should be the same as all other iPhones.  Certainly, I regularly take a sysdiagnose log on my ‘victim’ iPhone 6s and that doesn’t involve the Home button.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

thomasareed Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I can confirm that Apple's procedure is quite a bit unreliable, and seems to require a perfection of timing that is difficult to achieve. I am following the instructions found here:

https://developer.apple.com/services-account/download?path=/iOS/iOS_Logs/sysdiagnose_Logging_Instructions.pdf

When I press and hold both volume buttons and the power button, the first thing that happens is that I get the screen with sliders for Power Off, Medical ID, and SOS. If I continue to hold, the slider for SOS begins counting down from 5. I have tried letting go of the buttons as soon as that screen appears, as close to 1-1.5 seconds as possible before the SOS countdown starts, immediately when the SOS countdown starts, or slightly into the countdown.

I probably tried to trigger this 7-8 times, and only on the most recent did it finally actually trigger a sysdiagnose. There's no way an average user having a problem and asked to produce a sysdiagnose is going to be able to achieve this.

For the record, this is on an iPhone X running iOS 12.2.

aapldevusr Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

You can try create sysdiagnose using AssistiveTouch. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch > Single Tap and select Analytics in list. Then return to AssistiveTouch and enable it. Finally, touch the button. Sysdiagnose will start.