Finder Sync Extension usually fails to launch

Hi everyone (ideally Eskimo, if you're reading this),

I'm developing an application which includes a Finder Sync Extension, and extremely often the extension simply doesn't appear when launching the app. The extension is visible and enabled in System Preferences, but it is nowhere to be found in Finder. I recently uncovered this error message buried in system.log:

`Mar 8 00:49:43 My-Retina com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.myDomain.myApp.FinderSyncExtension.9AA0B404-2C28-49EC-B94C-DADA6501380E[1550]): Caller wanted oneshot behavior for pre-existing instance: caller = com.apple.appki`

I found someone else who posted about the same thing:

https://help.nextcloud.com/t/mac-finder-extension-not-working/38363

Can someone help me understand what this error message means and how to address it?

Thanks a lot,

Jeremy

Replies

Is that the full log message?

com.apple.appki
seems like it’s been truncated.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi Quinn,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not sure why that message is cut off, but looking at the console now there are many instances of this error except now they all end with `caller = Finder`. Do you have any insights into what this could be referring to? Thank you again.

Best,

Jeremy

Do you have any insights into what this could be referring to?

No. I was hoping that the non-truncated message would reveal something useful.

Getting a Finder Sync extension up and limping shouldn’t be too hard, and the fact that you’re seeing this problem indicates that there’s something specific about your extension that’s causing it. I don’t have any suggestions about what that might be, alas, so my recommendation is that you open a DTS tech support incident and talk to our Finder Sync extension expert.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"