Profiler "General error -- see console"

I'm on a 2018 MacBook Pro 15" and I've never been able to even start Instruments. Do I need to pay Apple?? I can use most everything in Xcode so far to look at my app, but I'd really love to profile my app. Console shows no errors after I get the General error prompt. Lucky me? It used to say "Fatal error" lol. What the heck? 😟

Replies

What version Xcode?

Otherwise, I'm not confident that Xcode's free provisioning allows for your device to be properly provisioned for development so that data can be collected from it. Example is the lack of access to member center/devices. Remember, those free profiles are only good for one week.

That's typically a corrupted install or system partition. I've added a diagnostic window to the most recent Beta to at least provide a hint to the underlying cause. It's rare that this happens, but I've seen bug reports.

More precisely, that error occurs when Instruments can't locate pieces of its enclosing Xcode, the Xcode has been corrupted in a way to invalidates code signatures (causing the plug-ins not to be loaded), or the system partition has the wrong permissions to allow it to create temporary storage. In any of those cases, there isn't enough there to bring up a healthy, functional application.

Start with Disk First Aid on your system partition to fix busted permissions, and if that still doesn't work, maybe you can tell me how you installed your copy of Xcode and if you have any other copies on your system.

@cwoolf, Thank you for your help! I ran Disk First Aid and Instruments still acted up. I just installed Xcode from the App store. There's no other version on my system.

If we assume that this underlying error will also take out the command line version of the tool, maybe the command line will give you more diagnostic information.

From Terminal, try running :

instruments

Lower case "I". Just running that command without any arguments should get you to the point the UI reaches before the template chooser window. Let me know what happens when you try that.