Keyboard: issue with decimal point under iOS 11.2

User that have set their region to Swiss and language to French report an issue under iOS 11.2. Swiss franc (CHF) is using "." as decimal point. Howvever, after upgrading to iOS 11.2, the decimal pad keyboard is now displaying "," instead of "." making entry of a decimal value impossible.

Any ideas for a workaround?

Accepted Reply

Just tested iOS 12.2 beta 4 and the issue seems to be fixed!!!

Replies

Indeed. And still no reply to my Radar from a month ago. Frustrating!

iOS 11.3 beta 2 ... no change, no reply to my Radar ... and it still looks like a bug to me!

I do have the same problem. It's very inconsistent which decimal separator is shown in the number pad – I couldn't figure out what kind of heuristic is used there.

I have given up waiting and released an update with a workaround.

It seems to me that when the 'language' is set to one which typically uses a 'comma' then this overrides the 'region' setting. So for example if the language is French and the region is US, then the decimal separator is shown as a 'comma'. However if the language is one which typically uses a 'dot', then this does not override the region. So for example if the language is English and the region is France, then the decimal separator is still shown as a 'comma'.

If the language and region 'match', for example French and France, or English and US then the decimal separator is always as expected.

So while it seems fairly random there is a kind of pattern to it. In fact I have only seen the keyboard incorrectly show a 'comma', I have never seen it incorrectly show a 'dot'.

Yeah in my opinion this is a major bug and, as of 11.4, has still not been fixed. Our app is financially-related and for users to not be able to properly enter in decimal amounts is very significant for the success of our project.

Unfortunately, there is no improvement in iOS 12 beta 2. I was notified that my bug has been closed as it was a duplicate.

iOS 12 relased, problem is persisting and my app is failing in some countries! 😠

Have you submitted a bug report?

Have simillar issue. My settings - RU language, Russia region. Found out that issue appear when user used keyboard with EN language and then tap on UITextField with decimal type (Where you cant change language) - keyboard shown with wrong decimal separator.

Decide to fix this by overriding "var textInputMode: UITextInputMode?" on UITextField.

I issued bug 45816612 for this issue.

iOS 12 has the same issue with some regions. I extended String to check if the decimal inputed is the same as the local decimalseparator and if not change it

func sanitizeDecimal(decimalSeparator: String) -> String {

if decimalSeparator == "," {

return self.replacingOccurrences(of: ".", with: decimalSeparator)

}

else {

return self.replacingOccurrences(of: ",", with: decimalSeparator)

}

}

Any update on your bug? I had issued 45085943 and was informed that it is a dupe 40762712. Recently I received the information:

The original report on this issue is now awaiting final verification. If you still see this issue in the latest iOS 12.2 beta release, please file a new bug report using Bug Reporter.

However, I don't see any change in iOS 12.2 beta 3.

Just tested iOS 12.2 beta 4 and the issue seems to be fixed!!!