Xcode error: Abort Trap 6

Occasionally, I get this error and I tried to research it but I couldnt figure out how to solve it. It says:

1. While deserializing SIL vtable for 'PostTextCVC' in module 'Appp'
error: Abort trap: 6

The only way to dismiss this is to user another simulator or my actual phone. I don't know how to fix it for real though, don't even know what that error means. It's not exactly descriptive. Any suggestions?

PS: Xcode version 10.0. beta 5

Replies

I've seen this abort as the result of an unhandled C++ exception. Since you seem to playing around with parts of Swift, parts of which are written in C++ (the SIL support specifically), it looks like you've tripped over an unhandled exception. Note that this is based on my experience building software with C++ on Mac platforms.

The only thing I deal with is Swift, not C++. Tbh, I have no clue what this error means. It comes and goes occassionally. I have to clean the project, switch to another simulator or switch from the Xcode 10 Beta stable Xcode version to the current stable version of Xcode. I'm just lost with this error.

Are you seeing this message while building your app? Or while running it on the device / simulator?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I'm seeing this message while building my app and when I try to run on device or simulator. With Xcode 10 beta 5 worked perfectly.

I'm seeing this message while building my app and when I try to run on device or simulator.

I’m sorry that my question wasn’t more clear. What I need to know is whether you see this during the build of your app? Or whether you see it at runtime? A good diagnostic test is as follows:

1. Open your project and select the appropriate scheme.

2. Choose Product > Build. Do you see the error? If you do, stop now.

3. If not, choose Product > Perform Action > Run Without Building. Do you see the error now?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

I have the same problem. Have you got the solution.

Can you respond to the query in my 6 Sep post?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

I had run with out build.

Actually it didn't work.

I've tried many ways, but I haven't solved them.

My error is here:

<unknown>:0: error: fatal error encountered while reading from module 'portfolio'; please file a bug report with your project and the crash log

*** DESERIALIZATION FAILURE (please include this section in any bug report) ***

could not find 'init(frame:)' in parent class

0 swift 0x000000010e14064a PrintStackTraceSignalHandler(void*) + 42

1 swift 0x000000010e13fdfe SignalHandler(int) + 302

2 libsystem_platform.dylib 0x00007fff6cd5ef5a _sigtramp + 26

3 libsystem_platform.dylib 000000000000000000 _sigtramp + 2469007552

4 libsystem_c.dylib 0x00007fff6cafc1ae abort + 127

5 swift 0x000000010b5a60fb swift::ModuleFile::fatal(llvm::Error) + 1915

6 swift 0x000000010b5dd753 getSILDeclRef(swift::ModuleFile*, llvm::ArrayRef<unsigned long long>, unsigned int&) + 307

7 swift 0x000000010b5dfa94 swift::SILDeserializer::readVTable(llvm::PointerEmbeddedInt<unsigned int, 31>) + 740

8 swift 0x000000010b68684b swift::SerializedSILLoader::getAllForModule(swift::Identifier, swift::FileUnit*) + 331

9 swift 0x000000010a3d09be performCompile(swift::CompilerInstance&, swift::CompilerInvocation&, llvm::ArrayRef<char const*>, int&, swift::FrontendObserver*, swift::UnifiedStatsReporter*) + 34558

10 swift 0x000000010a3c4dc5 swift::performFrontend(llvm::ArrayRef<char const*>, char const*, void*, swift::FrontendObserver*) + 7717

11 swift 0x000000010a36aa35 main + 1349

12 libdyld.dylib 0x00007fff6ca50015 start + 1

13 libdyld.dylib 0x00000000000000c0 start + 2472214700

Stack dump:

0. Program arguments: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/swift -frontend -merge-modules -emit-module -filelist /var/folders/r2/qhm84y4535bbnf292567t6b00000gn/T/...

1. Contents of /var/folders/r2/qhm84y4535bbnf292567t6b00000gn/T/inputs-f26b66:

---

/Users/edward/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/portfolio-bfuzuwxeicpcrpcpnoeylnrzpptb/Build/Intermediates.noindex/portfolio.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/portfolio.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/OKRangeFilter~partial.swiftmodule

2. While deserializing SIL vtable for 'BackgroundHighLightUIControl' in module 'portfolio'

The info you posted on 21 Sep indicates that the Swift compiler is crashing while trying to compile your project. That should never happen and is always bugworthy. Please file a bug about this, preferably including a project that reproduces the problem. I’d appreciate you posting your bug number here, just for the record.

As far as getting your project building is concerned, I have a couple of questions:

• If you create a new project from the built-in templates, does it build?

• If you (temporarily, just for testing) create a new user and log is as that user, is that user able to build your project?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

• Hey eskimo! Hope you are doing good. Huge fan of work you do :)

We are seeing compiler crash with Abort trap: 6 I have created ticket: FB10021864

Here is simplified version of our code. Culprit was conformance to CaseIterable. Do you know why would it break?

Apologies for the code formatting. Could't fix it.

` import Combine

protocol ExampleProtocol: CaseIterable {

associatedtype ExampleAssociatedType

}

struct MainStruct<P: ExampleProtocol> {

private var subscriptions: [AnyCancellable] = []

init() {

let example = ExampleStruct()

Just(ExampleStruct())

.sink { _ in}

.store(in: &subscriptions)

}

}

struct ExampleStruct<P: ExampleProtocol> {

var variable: P.ExampleAssociatedType?

} `

Add a Comment

My project was working fine in xcode 9.*, I am using swift 4, In xode 10 it is giving compilation error "Abort Trap 6"

Please find Log below:

Running pass 'Module Verifier' on function '@"$S10Momspresso16SearchResultCellC05setupD03foryyXl_tFAA09TableViewD0CAdEyyXlSg_tFTV"'

I'm having the same problem

The compiler crashes with an "Abort trap: 6" while Archiving the project

However it compiles and runs without any issues on the simulator!

Config:

Xcode 10 (10A255)

MacOS 10.13.6

I still haven't solved the problem.

If I create a new project it build successful.

I think it just heppen on my project. Of course, not only mine, but also those of my workmates.

How can I report my project to you?

Thanks for your reply

Facing the same issue. Is this something to do with Xcode 10.* ?

You seem to be the person on this thread who knows the most. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished. I'm getting an abort trap 6 on my build as well. Specifically:

1. Running pass 'Module Verifier' on function '@"$S8DTGenomeAAC10testGenomeyyF"'

I'm trying to build my unit test. My test class is DTGenome, and the only function in it is testGenome().

It has been building just fine all day, but it suddenly started choking. At first it was saying the name of one of my protocols. I made a few different random changes to the protocol, like private to public, or changing the name of one of the functions in the protocol, just random stuff. The abort would come and go with some of these changes. I got it to go away, but now it's back. I tried your idea of putting the code into a new project, and that fails too.

I've filed a bug report: 48047205. Cheers