8 Replies
      Latest reply on Feb 8, 2019 10:48 AM by Michael Swanson
      Michael Swanson Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

We have a free business-focused app that lets our users "remote control" a virtual reality experience (running on other VR devices). The app is only useful if you're already using our VR platform and tools.

We're trying to decide how/where to distribute this app. It'd be ideal if we could make it available in the Mac App Store, but we're concerned that—because it's only useful if you're already using our platform—that it would be rejected during app review. Does anyone know of another product in the App Store that requires an account or other service before it works at all? We don't want to spend a bunch of time getting ready for the App Store if we believe that it will be rejected.

Otherwise, we're considering a standard downloadable DMG with drag-to-application-folder style functionality. But, this requires that our users visit our site and manually download the app. Plus, we then have to deal with automatic updates using other tools.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

• Re: Business App Distribution
          KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,635 points)

Have you reviewed the ASRG's Hardware Compatibility 2.4.5?

Thanks, KMT. I had reviewed a lot of guidelines but not that section. Unless I'm missing something, I can't find anything in that section that would apply to our app.

I mentioned the 'section' itself on purpose. If I'd wanted to cherry pick any salient points, I would have noted them.

When 2.4.5 is taken overall...do you still want to use the store? I get the feeling we'd not be having this discussion if you did.

The Store seems ideal, because it's trusted, available, and makes auto-updates easy to manage...a great place to send a customer to get the app. If we thought that the app wouldn't be rejected, I suspect we'd start down this path.

My concern is mostly about the functionality that the app provides (e.g. that it is essentially useless without the other components of the system). Though when I think about it, there are a number of "remote control" tools for third-party cameras, lighting, etc. that don't do anything without the associated hardware.

If you want to use the store, and nothing about 2.4.5 jumps out as in your way, then go for it.

if you're asking if there are pre-reviews, know that you'll only get the opinions of other devs here, and no one here can promise what app review will/won't reject...there are no pre-reviews.

About other apps in the store - nothing in the store is any promise of what will occur going forward with yours, so I'd be careful pulling the trigger on that info alone.

>We don't want to spend a bunch of time getting ready for the App Store if we believe that it will be rejected.

So say we all, however, it's called development for a reason, and without knowing more details about your app, there's little to judge and even offer an opinion. In the end, you might have to take the chance and run the gauntlet, just like the rest of us.

Welcome to the App Store.

Good luck.

Indeed, I am all too aware that there aren't official pre-reviews (I've had more than 10 apps in the iOS App Store since 2009). I'm mostly looking for feedback from others that have been in similar situations with the Mac App Store, realizing that it's very similar. I haven't had to release an app like this before. Your feedback has been helpful. Thank you.

eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (11,825 points)

Does anyone know of another product in the App Store that requires an account or other service before it works at all?

There are lots of apps on the store that require you to log in before you can do anything useful.  I’m not going to mentioned specific apps, but looking at my phone (which, admittedly is not my Mac, but still…) I see that I have a bunch of apps like that installed (a video streaming app, a VPN app, a social media app, and so on).

App Review specifically addresses the review side of this on their page  on the developer web site, which says:

Providing App Review Information — If your app requires specific settings, user account information, or special instructions, include these details in the App Review Information section of App Store Connect.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
                      Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
                      let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"