Getting FileProviderValidation to work

Hi everybody,

I don't seem to be able to get FileProviderValidation to work. I am talking about the app announced by Apple at this year's WWDC. I have done everything the Readme states needs to be done. Under iOS 11, FileProviderValidation just crashes, under iOS 12 Beta 1, it lists all the available File Provider Extensions -- uncluding ours -- but it states that the extension was "Not eligible". (None of them is.)

I had previously tried to implement the protocol on my own and to provide an own service source (in Swift, as the rest of the project). But that didn't work. So I went with the Files provided by Apple and included the service source in the bridging header.

The only thing I am doing differently from Apple's solution is that I return two items in supportedServiceSources(for itemIdentifier: NSFileProviderItemIdentifier), theirs and ours which serves for XPC between the UI app that hosts the extension and the extension itself.

Did anybody get this to work?

Replies

I am having same problem.

Me too.

I don’t support file providers but I talked with my colleague who does, and he confirmed that he got FileProviderValidation working by following the steps in the read me.

The original poster on this thread was working on iOS 12b1, and it’s certainly possible that FileProviderValidation had problems on that pre-release system. It should work just fine on current released systems.

If you’re having problems with your file provider not showing up, I recommend that you double check that your extension implements the protocol correctly. If that doesn’t help, you should open a DTS tech support incident and my colleague will be able to help you one-on-one.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I did eventually get it to work. I had filed a bug and received a comment that made things clearer.

The "secret" is that placeholder URLs have to be written out to disk. Having implemented all required methiods is not enough. The presence of placeholder URLs is the key.

Thanks for closing the loop here.

What was your bug number?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

It's 45223115.

Thanks for being such a supportive guy!

I cannot install the FileProviderValidation anymore. I get the error message: "A valid provisioning profile for this executable was not found."

It did work two weeks ago, but now it doesn't 😟

I have tried it on 3 devices:

- iPhone X / iOS 12.1.4

- iPad Pro 11inch / iOS 12.1.4

- iPad 4 mini / iOS 12.1.3.

Is it possible the that enterprise certificate was revoked that was used to sign the FileProviderValidation.ipa?

Digging into the

.ipa
, it looks like its provisioning profile expired on 8 Feb 2019 )-: Please file a bug about this, then post your bug number here.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Thanks for that. I ran this issue past DTS’s file provider expert and he confirmed that your bug has landed in the right place.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Thanks 🙂

Is there an ipa with a valid provisioning profile?

Is there an ipa with a valid provisioning profile?

I’m not sure how to interpret that, but my best guess is that you’re asking whether this bug (r. 48270813) is resolved. It is not )-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

I've run into the same issue.

I'm debugging an issue with a FileProvider not receiving any calls in Airplane mode and would really like to see if FileProviderValidation finds any issues that could give me a hint at where to look.

I fail at installling the IPA, though, so I guess r. 48270813 is still open. :-(

The tool hasn't worked since April 2021 and now it has been completely removed. Is there any chance for it to come back? It was actually quite helpful. Also asked this via Feedback Assistant: FB9127006 (no response for 3 months)