macOS build of Pixar USD library crash

Using the recently posted pre-built library, python crashes when running, e.g, "from pxr inport Tf" in a console:

Python crashed. FATAL ERROR: Failed axiom: ' Py_IsInitialized() '

in operator() at line 148 of /tmp/USD/pxr/base/lib/tf/pyTracing.cpp

Replies

You probably have a Homebrew version of Python installed. If you execute "which python" and see /usr/local/bin/python then you'll see this error. The USD stuff is built with system Python. You can run it by specifically invoking the script(s) with system Python like this: "/usr/bin/python usdscript.py" instead of "python usdscript.py"

I get the same problem. from pythonUSD_0.63.pkg acquired from https://developer.apple.com/downloads. Only I found something interesting.

"at line 148 of /Users/sergei/repos/USD/pxr..."

Who the heck is 'Sergei'? No User on my machine. Is this package safe?

I searched my system for "sergei" and "pyTracing.cpp" using

find ~/ /Users/sergei/*

I could not find any result or evidence of '/Users/sergei' on my computer indicating sergei writen somewhere in pythonUSD_0.63.pkg.

% cd /Applications/usdpython/pxr
pxr % for i in */*.so; do cat $i >> ~/Desktop/SO.out.txt; done

Opening this in a text editor and doing a simple search for '/Users/sergei/*' I found 122 instances of sergei.

I'm trying to attach screen shots but this site doesn't support it.

This package is corrupted and Apple should probably remove it from their site.

"at line 148 of /Users/sergei/repos/USD/pxr..."

Who the heck is 'Sergei'? No User on my machine. Is this package safe?

The package is not corrupted because of that, that's normal. This is the path of the c++ files on the machine where it was compiled. It's stored as part of the debug helpers, error messages, asserts, etc, with the __FILE__ and __LINE__ macros in c++.

The python errors you're getting are due to using a different version of python that the use python bindings were compiled against. For example, let's say you're using python 2.7.18 and it was compiled with 2.7.10.

USD is extremly tricky what way. It's better to do you own build of it