Can I accept payment on my website

I've got an app and I'd like to accept payment on my site (e.g. PayPal etc) - bypass the apple fees.

Can that be done?

Recently, NETFLIX said they would do it.

I've seen another app that does it - but that app seems to be a wrapper around a web-site (serves webpages).

Thanks.

Replies

Read the guidleines section 3.1.1 and also 3.1.3(a).

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/

Netflix has 137 million customers paying monthly for a brand that has become a household name. Please do not compare yourself to Netflix. Apple's fees are not really that high when you consider the cost of accepting payments and complying with consumer, tax, and privacy laws worldwide. If you are still interested, please review the link from PBK. If you still have questions, please consult any of the 137 million instances where your question has already been asked.

"Here we go again!"

(Freeze frame, end theme music plays while credits roll)

For the latest discussion on this, go here

(This show has been filmed in front of a live studio audience).

>bypass the apple fees.

You can avoid all the apple cuts you want, as long as you do it their way. Link above for details.

And as noted, when you're as big as netflix, you can do it their way too.

Time for popcorn...

**** of a coincidence here - the number of Netflix users equals the number of times this question has been broached. Not to mention 1/alpha= 137, albeit not 137 million.

By the way, Netflix operates under 3.1.3(a).

>By the way, Netflix operates under 3.1.3(a).

You mean the old way they billed, or the new way?

To clarify in an entirely sincere way, anyone can do what Netflix et al. do and bypass the Mac App Store. The problem is that it's a hassle for the user. Most users won't bother and will just download some other app instead. You have to be a market driver, not simply a market leader, in order for this to work. And the unfortunate fact is, if you have to ask on the Apple developer forums, then this ain't you.

So Apple has different rules depending on the size of the company? Very egalitarian.

Re the Apple fees - processing etc. is a small percentage...but definitely worth it for most apps for curating the app store. That is, bringing the customer to the app.

I think the fees are high in my case because it's a specialized app and the only reason the app is in the app store is because I can't host it on my site. The site would be driving most customers to the app store. So I find the fees high since it's also a small volume app.

I asked the question because I saw another app that was requiring a login when the app started and the only way to get a login was creating an account on the website and paying thru the website.